Stream Waterfall Expansion Advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After tending to this inherited pond for nearly 4 years, with one moderate rehab for lining and a plant shelf, I'm ready to look at Phase 2 of this never ending project.

I'm looking to expand the filter/waterfall feature further to the left to create more of an extended downhill stream, rather than the straight waterfall in place now. I'm looking for input in how to make it appear to be a fairly natural installation, considering the proximity to the house, and how much of a drop would be necessary for effective waterflow? I've done a lot of lurking and article reviewing, and am a bit overwhelmed on where to start in regards to proper planning and logistics.

I appreciate any suggestions that any of you folks might have.

20190808_075712.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1565301431941.gif
@Feddy It will look nice w/the falls back further and meandering to the pond. You can use dirt to build it up in the back and put plants/rocks driftwoos around it and then rocks on the sides w/plants here and there. Something like these only on a smaller scale:

Pond 2.jpg

You may have to build up a large area in back around the pond to make it look more natural so you have a slope. It could have a curve in it also to get more stream in the area.

streambed.jpg

You don't have too much room to make the stream but maybe 2 or 3' high to start. Not sure but maybe someone will let you know more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here's another nice view of a stream into a pond kind of meandering.

19garden-waterfall.jpg

Reaction score
A stream is going to be hard but here is a picture of a small pond that the area is built up with rocks.

Attachments

• lawson pond 4.JPG
    lawson pond 4.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 135
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you both. That first pic in JW's first reply is right on track with what I have in mind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first thing to consider is the proximity to the house and siding. you will need to either keep a good space between the stream/ falls. and or something to protect the siding from rot. it will take years but if not planned out in advance it will be the future.

Ask a Question