Stress Coat/Ammonia/Chlorine neutralizer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is there a company that makes an all in one stress coat, ammonia and chlorine neutralizer? I see the stress coat with the chlorine neutralizer but haven't seen all three together. It would be nice to have an all-in-one product

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually have a well but I use an extra well filter to run my water straight from the hydrant into the pond instead of using my whole house filter .They are cheap through tractor supply and I use the activated charcoal filter .The filter thing actually came with my house when well was drilled but I wanted a self flushing filter and found the well filter actually used hose adapters and hose hooked right up to it and I run water through it slow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I actually have a well but I use an extra well filter to run my water straight from the hydrant into the pond instead of using my whole house filter .They are cheap through tractor supply and I use the activated charcoal filter .The filter thing actually came with my house when well was drilled but I wanted a self flushing filter and found the well filter actually used hose adapters and hose hooked right up to it and I run water through it slow

Sissy. What do you think of this? This would save me money in the long run from buying the chlorine neutralizer. Everytime I need to add water to the pond I could hook this up to the hose. It states not for pond use but Im assuming thats for liability reasons. There are alot of reviews on Amazon by pond owners giving it 5 stars. It says good for 10,000 gallons. This would last me a long time as I only use a couple of hundred gallons everytime I add water to the pond about every 3 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Filter-Chloramines-Pesticides/dp/B007I6MN72

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sissy. What do you think of this? This would save me money in the long run from buying the chlorine neutralizer. Everytime I need to add water to the pond I could hook this up to the hose. It states not for pond use but Im assuming thats for liability reasons. There are alot of reviews on Amazon by pond owners giving it 5 stars. It says good for 10,000 gallons. This would last me a long time as I only use a couple of hundred gallons everytime I add water to the pond about every 3 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Filter-Chloramines-Pesticides/dp/B007I6MN72

I would not chance it as it may only reduce the level of Chloramine and not neutralize it.

Just curious--Why do you feel the need to use 'Stress Coat'?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would not chance it as it may only reduce the level of Chloramine and not neutralize it.

Just curious--Why do you feel the need to use 'Stress Coat'?

I just felt the stress coat was important to fend off bacteria and parasites

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
'Stress Coat' promotes the growth of the slime coat by irritating the skin of the fish. In my book, that is stress. This product is appropriately named, but for the wrong reason.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just felt the stress coat was important to fend off bacteria and parasites

If your fish are healthy... then they do not need a "stress coat" product...

Now... you can create environmental actions that reduces the fish's production of this "stress coat", which can lead the fish susceptible to secondary ailments... but... I would be very weary of these pond store products that sell "stress coat" products since, if you are looking to improve a fish's "stress coat", then you do not buy something that mentions "stress coat" in the product description...

Conducting proper pond husbandry will do much more for you in the long run to improve the fish's "stress coat" than any pond store "stress coat" product.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Be careful about what you believe when reading these pond store products... They are moreso there to "sell" you a product rather than addressing your concerns. Plus... these are just about the most expensive products out there... I understand, from personal experience, how aggravating the "pond" section of a store can become to new adventurers within this pond hobby...

Ask a Question