String Algae in the Duckweed question

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I have a duckweed culture has has string algae in it. It is hard to get the duckweed out of the algae to feed it. I am also concerned the shaking the duckweed off into other tanks will seed them with string algae.

I am wondering if anyone has had duckweed in a pond they treated with peroxide. I am thinking of making up a tub of peroxide water and floating the duckweed/string algae in it to kill the algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish eat any string algae that shows up..........

Take a small amount and do a test. I used to use 1 liter per 1000 gallons of water to kill off the string.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Update. I found that one can grab a clump of mixed duckweed and string algae. By shaking the clump in the water most of the duckweed come out. I am sure that you would be seeding whatever pond you do this to with string algae but it seems to be everywhere anyway. If on not it thrives should depend on water conditions.

It is sort of strange. The string algae thrives in the container with the duckweed. But there is little to be found in the other containers on the system. Need to think about this.

EDIT: That is the only container without out fish. Thanks Addy :)

Ask a Question