String algae. works for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I spent three years dealing with string algae using a variety of available methods from removal to chemicals. Mixed results, regardless. It was quite by accident when looking at water plants that I selected a pickerel rush. That was the end of my string algae. I still need a UV filter as, for whatever reason, the rush is totally ineffective for floating algae. An alternative to the rush is a thalia dealbata. Looks almost identical to the rush except the foliage has a gray tint and it's blooms are flower like instead of spikes. This may be old news to some but, whatever, I thought I'd share it. I must caution that it's not a small plant reaching anywhere from 4 to 6 feet. When I remove my rush (it's potted) for the winter I plant it in a usually wet spot in the yard and it comes back healthy in the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not aware of any allelopathic tendencies from pickerel rush.
Can you shed any light about the water conditions of your pond before and after the algae disappeared?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The research paper-
Reduction of nutrient contaminants into shallow eutrophic waters through vegetated treatment beds.
Han P1, Vijayaraghavan K, Reuben S, Estrada ES, Joshi UM.
showed that "four emergent macrophytes (Cyperus haspan, Pandanus amaryllifolius, Pontederia cordata and Thalia geniculata) and two floating plants (Hygroryza aristata and Pistia stratiotes)" possessed exceptional abilities in nutrient uptake. It further stated that "With the exception of T. geniculata, depletion of nutrients as a result of plant uptake significantly impeded the natural colonization of algae invariably leading to improvements in water quality in terms of turbidity and pH. Suppression of algae proliferation by T. geniculata was not preceded by a reduction in nutrient concentrations suggesting that
T. geniculata may be directly inhibiting algal growth through allelopathy."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The research paper is saying that there was no reduction in nutrient levels before the algae population was reduced, therefore the algae reduction may be due to allelopathic effects from the pickerel rush.

Thank you, Meyer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I spent three years dealing with string algae using a variety of available methods from removal to chemicals. Mixed results, regardless. It was quite by accident when looking at water plants that I selected a pickerel rush. That was the end of my string algae. I still need a UV filter as, for whatever reason, the rush is totally ineffective for floating algae. An alternative to the rush is a thalia dealbata. Looks almost identical to the rush except the foliage has a gray tint and it's blooms are flower like instead of spikes. This may be old news to some but, whatever, I thought I'd share it. I must caution that it's not a small plant reaching anywhere from 4 to 6 feet. When I remove my rush (it's potted) for the winter I plant it in a usually wet spot in the yard and it comes back healthy in the spring.

Attachments

• Pickerel rush spike.JPG
    Pickerel rush spike.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Pickerel rush.JPG
    Pickerel rush.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 231
  • Thalia dealbata bloom.JPG
    Thalia dealbata bloom.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mitch, As to water quality before or after or what properties exist in the plant I have no idea. The plant was installed in early spring, prior to the appearance of any algae, so it was some time before I realized what was, or actually, what wasn't happening.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have pickerel rush and guessing it needs repotted but it has 4 blooms on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have pickerel rush and guessing it needs repotted but it has 4 blooms on it
Spikes or blooms? In any event, if they're spikes are they blue or purple? I don't think there's anyway to distinguish one from the other in a young plant but, but, except for the color, they're identical. Because of the weight involved using a big pot all I use in planting is the dirt that clings to the plant and very, very well rinsed lava rock.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The research paper is saying that there was no reduction in nutrient levels before the algae population was reduced, therefore the algae reduction may be due to allelopathic effects from the pickerel rush.

Thank you, Meyer.
Mitch, I think that you may have mis-read the Quote. It specifically states that
"Suppression of algae proliferation by T. geniculata was not preceded by a reduction in nutrient concentrations suggesting that T. geniculata may be directly inhibiting algal growth through allelopathy."
Thalia geniculata was the exception!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You're right Meyer.
I got Thalia geniculata (Fire Flag) mixed up with Pondeteria cordata (Pickerel Rush)

so -
Ponderteria cordata (Pickerel Rush) is effective at nutrient removal that inhibits algae growth.
Thalia geniculata (Fire flag) may exhibit allelopathic tendencies that prevents algae growth.

Correct?

Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Based on the paper's abstract, yes. The abstract doesn't say what the control conditions were for this research project...number of plants, size of stream bed, nutrient levels, duration of test(s), etc. So it can not be discerned what the actual level of nutrient uptake was.
Although I am keenly interested in the data, I am not willing to spent $37.00 for access to the entire document. I will wait until it becomes available through 'Open Access'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I found that abstract as well.
Sometimes I go through my hobby information too quickly and mix up a couple of details.
As an aside, I also found that some willow plants contain salicin, which can act as an algecide and I'm trying to track down some studies on that without subscribing to some journal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is what I have come across so far. I'm rooting some willow branches in my substrate pond right now and hope to update that thread soon. Apparently both birch and willow have salicin in their bark and roots,
http://www.wef.org/PublicInformation/page.aspx?id=775

edit, some additional resources
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/nvswcd/sciencefair/moscoso.htm

http://biosurvey.ou.edu/oas/02/papers/lFimple02.htm (this one doesn't seem to want to display the webpage properly in my browser, maybe someone else can test it out)

Last edited:

Ask a Question