String Algae...yes, another question. :)

Reaction score
Here it goes. I have never had many issues with string algae until this year. Unfortunately I had to cut down several trees last year due to the ash borer insect. This is the first year that my pond has seen the amount of sunlight that it gets every day. I am pulling handfuls of string algae out every other day. I love using Pond Balance as it does a great job. The unfortunate part is that it is very expensive. Can anyone give me a cheaper alternative to Pond Balance? I have included a picture of the waterfall part of my pond in which I get the most string algae. Maybe that could help with suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150706_195228.jpg
    20150706_195228.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Algae (string/hair/blanket) is benefitting from excess nutrients in your pond.
What is your fish population, filtration, feeding schedule like? What size is your pond?
What is the active ingredient in Pond Balance?

Reaction score
I am guessing you are correct about the excess nutrients. I used my Pond Balance, but due to all of the rain we were having, I stopped using it for awhile. Thus the extra algae out of nowhere I would imagine. Sorry, should have added that information earlier.

I have about 10-12 fish in the pond. None of them are more than 3-4 inches long. Mostly Comets and Golden Orfs. I do not feed the fish at all as they seem to do very well feeding off of the lower algae in the pond. If I do, it is a sinkable food which they eat pretty quickly, so it doesn't stay in the pond long.

I have a typical filtration system. Coarse down at the bottom of the pond, and fine at the top filter box. Nothing extra at all as I never needed anything else. Pond is about 900 to 1000 gallons by estimate. 8 1/2 by 11 in the pond basin area. Three and a half feet deep in the very middle.

I actually can't find much information on Pond Balance. Seems like it is salt based. It is a product out of the UK. The company is Interpret. All I know is that it was recommended by someone and it worked really well until I got as much sun as have in the last week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I feel your pain about the ash borer :( We had one taken down near the pond, and the service dropped it the wrong way and it snapped a Maple tree near the pond! We too, are getting more sunlight than ever, and I have green water for the first time. I don't have string algae, but the suspended type.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use sodium percarbonate to get rid of string algae. It's safe, inexpensive, and easy to use. This same compound is packaged and sold (for many times the price) as Green Clean, Ecoblast, etc., by various companies. We buy it in bulk from a soap making supply company online.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My little turtle bog seems to be helping. We had 2 trees taken down last summer, so also have more sunlight than ever. Still having a little bit of suspended and string algae, but not worth worrying over. The only difference is the bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants! My ponds are in total hot full south sun all day, (some slight shade in the evening) no string except in the very slow flowing small warm fishless ponds. Of the three, one has string, the one with lotus and the one with lilies and aracharnis, have no string. I leave it for the critters.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have used the Green Clean before, but I don't like how it gets all bubbly in the water after use. It does work for sure though. I still have some of that left, so maybe I will try it again.

Also, will look out for the PhosOut. Willing to try anything. Time to learn again. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan , does PhosOut help with suspended algae? I've added a new shower filter and a 26 watt UV, in addition to the small one in pressurized filter? I'm now researching an upgrade to bigger filtration, which of course, means a new pump.....should have stuck with my shubbies :)

@addy1 , I'm growing as many plants as I can with koi. I have floating baskets of parrots feather, water lilies and plants ( water celery, grasses, forget me nots) at the pond's edge, which spill into the pond. I wish I could have more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The best place to start is in trying to narrow down the cause. Grab a full aquarium test (API makes a nice one) so you can check nitrate/nitrite and ammonia. If those numbers come out at zero, there is a more expensive test kit for phosphates.

Nitr*te levels are usually an indication the water is not balanced. It sounds like your pond has been established for awhile, so this is usually not a problem except when you make a large change (new fish, change in feeding, new water features, etc).

Ammonia and phosphates can be controlled to some degree by a lot of plants growing in the water, but either one can exceed the capacity that the plants can clean. Then you need to turn to a combination of chemical controls and large water changes to get rid of the excesses. High ammonia levels can be deadly to your fish, but they won't notice high phosphate levels.

Keep in mind that algae will feed from any food source it can find, including dead algae, so using an algae killer can actually make the algae grow faster a week later. Having a lot of other plants in the water can help buffer this affect. Unfortunately you can never completely get rid of algae, but if you make your pond inhospitable by taking away the excess food sources, the algae will remain almost unnoticeable.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan , does PhosOut help with suspended algae? I've added a new shower filter and a 26 watt UV, in addition to the small one in pressurized filter? I'm now researching an upgrade to bigger filtration, which of course, means a new pump.....should have stuck with my shubbies :)

PhosOut will not help control planktonic algae. These forms of algae utilize Nitrate as the primary nutrient. Only control of Nitrate levels will offer any natural relief.
Adding filtration is never a bad thing, but it will not help with algae problems. If anything, Ammonia will be more quickly oxidized to Nitrate which only fuels the algae growth. Only reduction of the base level of Ammonia will permanently correct a planktonic algae issue.
Trickle towers have been shown to be somewhat effective in reduction of Nitrate levels by providing the means of off-gassing Nitrogen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I re plumbed the waterfall pump yesterday, to slow the rate of water passing by the UV....it's been less than 24 hours and I can already see a very noticeable difference:) My water tests at 0 for ammonia . I am adding a new fish soon and will consider treating the pond with a malachite green and formalin broad spectrum medicine to be on the safe side.

If I upgrade the filtration, I'll run the old one simultaneously, until the new one's media established.

Ask a Question