String algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Need advice on a chemical killing of some string algae in an approx 1000 gallon pond? Priority use of this water feature is a birdbath. It has a few Bluegills but their tadpole duty is over for now and I'm sure they'd like see their real lake again.
I'm looking for suggestions on the best approach, the best chemicals to use, and the best PH to shoot for. Prior to the geese using it again and then re introducing fish again. I'm shooting for the shortest window possible. I drank plenty a pool water back in my day and they just need it for a decent place to take a bath at.

Attachments

• P1120217.JPG
    P1120217.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 169
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Earlofcrankcase, let's 'downshift' for a moment and let me ask is your ultimate goal a goose pond? You asked about chemicals and I am not a big proponent of their use. I would go the natural route such as aeration, tinting the water, providing shade or perhaps grass carp. Even consider some tough stem bog plants that are not on the dinner list of your geese. I wouldn't worry or attempt to alter your pH. Here is a useful link that might be of use:https://fullserviceaquatics.com/control-string-algae-koi-pond-water-garden/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sorry any small pond that the geese hang out in for any length of time is going to get totally bombarded with POOP and with poop you will get algae or some very nasty green water The only hope would be a pond vacuum and clean the bottom constantly and get plenty of fast growing plants. is there a skimmer and a waterfall filter on your pond? i don't see any rock in the pond for bacteria to grow on .. Don't forget this time of year even the best of designs with ponds get some hair algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Earlofcrankcase, let's 'downshift' for a moment and let me ask is your ultimate goal a goose pond? You asked about chemicals and I am not a big proponent of their use. I would go the natural route such as aeration, tinting the water, providing shade or perhaps grass carp. Even consider some tough stem bog plants that are not on the dinner list of your geese. I wouldn't worry or attempt to alter your pH. Here is a useful link that might be of use:https://fullserviceaquatics.com/control-string-algae-koi-pond-water-garden/
Yes the ultimate goal is a goose pond. Reason was to not be cleaning out a kiddie pool every other day to avoid the guilt of seeing them swimming in their own feces. I could try some plants from the lake but I doubt the geese will let them last long enough to be worth the trip. They would also be another life form depending on the water for more than not causing them harm to drink same as the Bluegill in it too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry any small pond that the geese hang out in for any length of time is going to get totally bombarded with POOP and with poop you will get algae or some very nasty green water The only hope would be a pond vacuum and clean the bottom constantly and get plenty of fast growing plants. is there a skimmer and a waterfall filter on your pond? i don't see any rock in the pond for bacteria to grow on .. Don't forget this time of year even the best of designs with ponds get some hair algae
You're sure right about the poop!
We learned the reason for the expression "like crap through a goose" the hard way.
I'm really rethinking the geese as pets idea but we are already pretty committed now. Fortunately we have a water well and no worries about vacuuming it. The only filtration it has is two water fall buckets approx 40 gallons a piece with bags of plastic balls. I haven't cleaned those in close to 2 months but will be doing that in the morning. It also has a Savio skimmer with a UV light. Water clarity is not a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think you want to clean your plastic balls/ bio balls there job is to give surface area for the bacteria to grow on. If you do anything with them i would fill a trash can with water and duck the bioballs bag just dislodging the debris / waste / sediment . you don't want to wash off the bacteria if anything adding more o2 to that area will allow the bacteria to thrive and it too eats what the hair algae needs to grow. Look around on here for threads and ponds with bogs they are incredibly easy to build and do so much for your pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice before I did it! I have an aerator I was going to keep a few of the Bluegills in a kiddie pool with while I nuked it. I could plumb it into the bottom of the waterfall spillways if it's beneficial enough to be worth doing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice before I did it! I have an aerator I was going to keep a few of the Bluegills in a kiddie pool with while I nuked it. I could plumb it into the bottom of the waterfall spillways if it's beneficial enough to be worth doing?
The biggest winner in battling algae is maintenance the second is water and bog plants planted in stone beds that make the plants fight to remove the nutrients from the water and only water no soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fortunately we do have the room for a bog and I'm going to try some plant treats from the lake to see how long it takes the geese to go through them. If I have to cover the bog with chicken wire and hide that. It might be time to discuss getting rid of the geese. They are cool pets, but the constant poop at the back door is not the kind of atmosphere we were looking for. I'd rather load em in the truck and head to Beverlee but we do have a cement pond in the backyard now. It needs a reason to be there. The only reason the fish do is for the tadpoles? I'm all for the "it's own ecosystem" approach. A pond is a pretty peaceful thing. Vacuuming it out is very peaceful too now that I realized most of the brown crap at the bottom is actually algae killed by the UV in the skimmer & not goose poop.
PS: If I'm wrong about that don't tell me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've decided for now to not waste the time & effort involved in making a bog for this Kiddie pool. That's what this water feature is. The waterfall is nice. But it's more to keep mosquitoes gone than air in the water. It would be nice to keep live fish for tadpole control and they are cool but it's not necessary. The balance of this ecosystem is drinkable and visually appealing water vs wear on the equipment & homeowner. Please keep the pool forum jokes to a minimum.

After a more accurate measurement of the pond my volume guess is 3000 gallons. A normal vacuuming is an approx 600 gallon change of water. ( 14' X 18.5 x 3") pics are the waterline before & after the last cleaning.

Attachments

• P3240345.JPG
    P3240345.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 147
  • P3240350.JPG
    P3240350.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 137
  • goose pool.png
    goose pool.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 146

Ask a Question