string algea

Reaction score
I am guessing that there are a lot of topics that have already been started about string algea...how do you get rid of this stuff? I have different plants that are starting to grow. The cattails are about 2 feet out of the water already, the lillies have about 5 leaves on the surface and many more on way up, and some bog plants (i cant remember their name at this time). Am I going to need to buy algeacide or am I going to have to keep pulling it out by hand? Thanks in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algaecides may be good to some point but can kill fish .They say they don't but they do .Most are made of a cancer causing agent and have a warning on the bottle .I use a toilet bowl brush for any I might see and spray a little peroxide on the stuff i can't get too .I take care of a neighbors pond besides mine and this works great

Reaction score
I have string algea in my pond this year too..I have always had in on my waterfall/stream but never in my pond but this year it seems have gotten bad. I use the toilet brush but how does the peroxide work? I have some growing my my lily stems too.yikes!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just put peroxide in a spray bottle and spray it wait and then spray it off with some water from the pond .I don't have plants in my pond except for lilies ,but my neighbor does ,but she only has goldfish i gave her some of my babies .Has not harmed her plants so far .But would worry if the plants were in sun when sprayed it may burn them .I have yet to see a 100% safe method and don't think i ever will .Waterbug is right algae and string algae tons of topics here but no tried and true fixes ,just a lot of work .I spray all the waterfall rocks when i turn the pump off and then wait 10 or 15 minutes and what i can't get off with the brush when I turn the pump back on it turns white and filter sucks it up .

Ask a Question