Stripped PVC thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So, this is an irrigation problem but I figured at some point in all the pond building that this group has done surely someone has come across stripped PVC thread. I removed a sprinkler head and put a riser on it in preparation to build a bed around it and fill it with dirt and plants. We have since decided not to build anything at that location and after removing the riser I am not able to put the sprinkler back on the PVC even with a shorter extension and 1/2 inch coupler. To the best of my knowledge it seems to be stripped and that's why the sprinkler head and any other fitting won't screw back on. Every time I try to get a look at the fitting the hole just fills back up with water and I can't see what I'm actually working with. I'm going to try to dig it out a little deeper and wider and get a better look but if anyone has any advice or tips it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a similar issue (headache!) and thankfully, the ‘T’ connecter wasn’t stripped as I initially thought. Here is what I did:
Found the low point in the zone and loosened the connection to drain that zone. This solved the trickling water from obscuring the view and filling the hole with water and mud. Once everything was clear of water and dirt, carefully cleaned the T connection threads...completely clean. Placed a new sprinkler head on the T and used about 3 wraps of plumbers tape to ensure a tight connection. The new head is only hand tight. Turn the sprinkler head off so that it will not spray water. Refill the zone and pressure test. If no leaks, fill the hole and adjust the head. Hope this helps!
Stephen

Ask a Question