Stubborn water chemistry

Reaction score
Country
United States
My small 300 gallon pond has been going for about 3 weeks or so now and I am struggling with water conditions. The PH of my tap water is around 8 and the PH of the pond itself is at a ridiculously stable 8.2 (6PM test). I would prefer it to be mid 7's for my split fin goldfish but after trying white vinegar and seeing no movement I bought some API PH Down and have been using it for 3 straight days and still seen absolutely no movement.

I know that once the pond is properly cycled the PH should go down some but I have seen zero action on that front either. I have a 35 gallon trash can up-lift filter set up with medium gravel at the bottom, lava rock in the middle, a small water space above that with a platform holding a couple dozen pot scrubbies and a double layer of green scrub pads. These tend to float so I hold it all down with netted bags of bio rings (the white cylinders). After passing through all that it gravity feeds back to the top of the waterfall.

The ammonia level with 9 small starter goldfish is around .25 and I have had zero sign of any nitrate or nitrite despite adding several scoops of the powdered beneficial bacteria over the last couple weeks.

I was content with just waiting it out and letting nature work but last night I found a couple fish with white coverings over the eyes. I know that it could be from injuries (not entirely sure that my medium stone bottom decor is or is not too rough for them and my pond surface is stucco painted with something called "Pond Armor" with is a fairly thick epoxy type paint but still feels kinda rough if you rub your hand across it) or bacteria (find myself wondering if I inadvertently added the bacterial culprits) Everything I read starts with water changes (I use dechlorinator/slime coat with tap water refills) and "Perfect water chemistry" which I can't seem to get.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• stucco.jpg
    stucco.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 135
  • pond armor.jpg
    pond armor.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 166
  • medium gravel.jpg
    medium gravel.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I have been thinking about it and we have not had any issue with the fish eyes until this week and the last thing we added to the pond this week was the glass inverted aquarium feature. We have noticed that occasionally the fish inside the dome slide down the sides and sort of get trapped at the edge of the glass where it sits on the green PVC pipe stand. When this happens we often see them squeezing through the small gap where the glass overhangs (zoom in on pic to see the area). Is it possible this squeezing maneuver is irritating their eyes?

Attachments

• after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is it possible this squeezing maneuver is irritating their eyes?

I suppose it's possible. But you'd think the fish would show signs of abrasion on their bodies too, not just their eyes. I think it's more likely you have a bacterial or fungal infection going on - possibly the fish came with it if they are feeder fish. And if you mean the bacteria that you added infected them - no. You're adding what is alleged to be "good" bacteria. (I say "alleged" because there is a lot of debate as to whether the bacteria in a bottle adds anything at all.)

Can you get a photo of the fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ss you wish.

Attachments

• 20190814_180856.jpg
    20190814_180856.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20190814_180854.jpg
    20190814_180854.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20190814_180847.jpg
    20190814_180847.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190814_180837.jpg
    20190814_180837.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190814_180822.jpg
    20190814_180822.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 20190814_180738.jpg
    20190814_180738.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's hard to see from the photos, but my guess is a fungal infection. Although I once read about something I think they call White Eye (clever name!) that's caused from ammonia burns. Did you say your ammonia was high?

Reaction score
Country
United States
She said around .25 maybe she needs to test it again.
Thanks for the responses. It was at .25 for several days. Did maybe 15% water change day before yesterday. last night it was at .5. I am still seeing no signs of any "good bacteria" doing their jobs. Zero reading on Nitrites. I ordered some Epsom Salt and some Wild Oregano Oil this morning.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you post pics of the scrubbies and filter pads you are using? There are some on the market that have chemicals that can be harmful.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok, those look like safe ones. Your ammonia levels are going up. I would not add any more chemicals at this time. Your ph was fine where it was. Not sure why fish have developed cloudy eye but I would stop adding things to the pond. You need to get ammonia down to zero.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, those look like safe ones. Your ammonia levels are going up. I would not add any more chemicals at this time. Your ph was fine where it was. Not sure why fish have developed cloudy eye but I would stop adding things to the pond. You need to get ammonia down to zero.
Very much understand that and am frustrated as to why I have no bacterial action yet.

To be clear you are saying do not treat those fish? Even in a quarantine bucket or something?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The immediate issue is the ammonia - you can't treat the fish for ammonia poisoning I think is the point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lets look at this for what it is A MAN MADE HOUSING the epoxy paints? I assume is what you used. is some pretty potent stuff while the can may say it cures in x amount of time. does that mean its fish safe and it does not leach or have a residue on the surface. All in all its a very sterile environment. My suggestion to you is go to a friend or a fish store and try to get a dirty sponge or some gravels etc that has the bacteria you need. add it to your set up and spread it through out. AIR-RATION is key get the bacteria thriving for a few months then try and keep your ornamental fish. those rough sides you have will help to grow bacteria on the walls. also do some water changes to help dilute any possible chemicals.

Ask a Question