Stumped. Odd behavior. What could be wrong with this fish?

Reaction score
This is a bit complicated...

I know the very first question you will all ask is the water qualities of the QT tank, so will get that out of the way first:

3-4 days ago this fish was "off" (will come back to this) so just did a quick ammonia test, which was coming up on .25

Last night, a 50% water change was done, and Proform C was added to the water (carbon removed from filter), so these results are with the Proform C in there, so may not be accurate. (Addition of Proform C is not related to this fish.)

Ammonia: NO MORE than .10 it is NOT at zero, but the next one up on the color chart is .25 and it isnt even close to that color
Nitrite: zero
Nitrate: NOT tested (hanging head, out of this one)
Phosphate: 2.0+ but way below 5 (chart goes from 2 to 5 with nothing in between). GUESSING 2.5-3 (Guessing elevation due to Proform C)
PH: 6.8 (thinking Proform C causimg this as it is usually mid 7s)

The 50% water added, was from our outside pond, so here's those results

Ammonia: zero
Nitrite: zero
Nitrate: again, unable to test
Phosphate: zero
PH: 7.4/7.5

Fish with a problem is a koi, about 8-9 years old and 24-26" in size.

Not ideal, but we have two fish whom live in our QT tank. One is the fish we need help with (she is blind, will come back to this issue), and the other is her companion.

Explaination of the use of Proform C. A month ago, added fish to QT tank from a bad situation (power shut off for nonpayment, ammonia burns on some, owner didnt care, fish were rescued by another party). A couple days after adding the fish, they spawned, water changes etc. Kept water quality well inside of safe ranges (close to zero most of the time, if it wasnt AT zero). One fish broke with an ulcer a few days after arrival (thinking trauma from removal from original pond or even in transit here), sat back and watched (has healed). Nothing else. There was also one fish with a bit of muscus in her gills, gill tissue off color (more grey than red), and ammonia burns to the gill plates. We DX'd as likely ammonia burn damages, or off chance of gill flukes (plates look good now, no more mucus, tissue color not great but better, normal breathing the whole time). Had a budget crunch, so couldnt get the meds right away. Even tho the new fish all look great now, before adding them to the outside pond, wanted to hit them with the Proform C and after this is completed (first dose last night), have Prazi next for them.

The sick fish... She has a bit of a history, and not all of it is ideal. Most is far from it. We aquired her about 2.5-3 years or so ago via Craigslist as she had outgrown her home. That was an understatement. 20 fish or so living in about 350-400 gallons of water (they had water falls and rivers, but the fish area was about half of our QT pond and only 12-18" deep - we came home with 5 of them, smallest was about 18" and she was the largest, then about 22-23"). Initially here, there were more problems (fish load verses filtration at the time, ammonia spikes etc)... Got that all worked out... Then added a fish that broke with popeye... Which is how this fish went blind (total loss of one eye, and a THICK layer of scar tissue over the other eye) and the WHY she lives in the QT tank (she is comfortable where she is, dont want to shock/stress her by moving her). Didnt take long for us all (human and her) to learn a feeding pattern that works (splash water to let her know you are there, and hand feed). This was all well over a year ago (likely closer to 2 years) and other than not being able to see, acts, eats normal. None of this may be related, or maybe she has been through too much...

Jumping to the present. 3-4 days ago, she started acting funny. She is NOT racing around the pond acting stressed, but swimming in circles CASUALLY, always to the left. She will do this for a few minutes, then swim normally, and then do it all over again. At first we were thinking she was acting as if something may have been tickling her (aka a parasite) and being blind, she couldnt find the walls to rub against/flash. Reaching. Carefully inspected her body and see NOTHING. No blemishes, no missing scales, no bumps, her body looks perfect. Dont think that was her issue. She will also "roll over" (showing her belly) a time or two, and even swim upside down (not as much as she circles), then swim normally again. When she is doing this, if you reach in and touch her, she immediately swims normal and comes to you as if nothing is wrong (she is VERY friendly), and WAS also eating normally (food pig). This morning, she was more "distracted" then normal, and not really interested in eating or getting attention (normal behavior for her is to be a pest, I swear this fish LIKES human interaction). She is breathing normally, I mean other than swimming in weird patterns, cant see anything wrong... Another thing we have noticed is the scar tissue over her right eye IS slowly going away (we can see the eye now, but still has tissue over it) and are even wondering if she may be regaining some vision, but still feel like we are reaching. Instinct says it is something sensoritory, but then thinking we are reaching again... I almost want to say her depth perception is off and gets confused as to which way is up. The weirdest thing is she does not seem STRESSED. She isnt racing around, or even hiding on the bottom... ANY ideas of what could be wrong or what to look for???

Reaction score
Also, the companion fish who has been her buddy from the beginning is also acting normal, as are all the other fish.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I am definitely not an expert on fish sickness, but I would almost agree with you on the possibility of her being able to see something from that eye. You said one eye is a complete loss, and the other had scar tissue over it, but you didn't say which one. But, now you say she is swimming in circles to the left, is the left eye the one that COULD possibly regain sight?

Just from your story and not being able to see or examine the fish, I would almost suspect with some of the scar tissue shrinking the fish may be able to see some glimpses of light or shapes and keeps swimming in that direction.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
my only suggestion is to come up with ways to see if the fish has regained some sight, try feeding without splashing around first and see if she sees the food and comes to eat, try a flashlight at night and see how she reacts, I'm not really sure what else you can think of to prove whether or not she is seeing anything from that eye.

Reaction score
Thanks:) I did post which eye (right has scar tissue, the left is gone) but I was so long winded trying to get all the info out, it was easily lost. Circling left, makes me think the right eye, being the outside eye, may be getting a view of something (light, shadows?) but what about the rolling over and even swimming upside down? Would that fit? My husband is near blind in one eye (childhood injury/glass) and without glasses, his bad eye's vision is 20/80. Because of his CDL (he cant fake the eye exam anymore), he did get glasses (for show only) that brings that eye up to 20/40, but he cant wear them. He has gone almost all of his life with no depth perception, so seeing "normal" does make everything "tilt"... he has said if you want to see him drunk, watch him with his glasses on, but never says anything about wanting to roll over... I think of my husbands vision, and the possibilities with the fish sound more than possible, but I want to be cautious and not just discount her behavior in case we are wrong... I would LOVE this to be her issue. We were able to learn together to get her food, so cant imagine it would be too hard to help her while she regains her balance. I hate to sound like I am giving too many human characteristics to a fish, but being so friendly is a huge help.

As I am typing this, it is reminding me of something else... We were given a chick last year because she wasnt "salable" ... she was missing an eye. For the longest time all Lily did was walk in circles to the left... I need to go outside and look to see which eye she is missing!

I think tonight we will try out a flashlight on Tank (the fish came with the name Tank) and see if there is any reaction.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, Even if it is the left eye... and she is just seeing out of the front or left side of the eye (if that makes sense) it might circle that way.

Also, as far as rolling over, I just read this yesterday on another thread about underwater lights, someone said that underwater lights can mess with fish and make them swim sideways because they see the light and think that direction is up! I had never heard of that before, but if the fish is only seeing from one eye, or part of one eye, it could be confused on which direction the sun is actually coming from?

These are all stabs in the dark here. (no pun intended tank :) ) But I think the flashlight tonight may help to see if the fish is seeing anything.

Reaction score
No sun for her to be seeing, since the QT is in the basement, I would call the lighting shaded (has 4, 48" florescent bulbs over the tank which is 10' long) so with dim lighting, if she is seeing something, it could be confusing...No underwater lighting either... Going to go watch her again and see when she is swimming a bit to the side, which eye is up...

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Oh basement... yeah, wasn't thinking, and I just meant that if someone said that underwater lights can cause a fish with two good eyes to swim sideways, the overhead lights in the qt tank could cause a fish that can only see out of one eye, or a portion of one eye to swim funny also.

Reaction score
Okay, just went and watched for a few minutes and she was doing her left circles with the right side more to the ceiling then her back. Went and got the camera. This round, she is doing more of the sideways, upside down and head stands... got this one video, and then got the video card is full message. Posting this video, and will try to clear up some space on the video card to get another a bit later.

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/capewindmastiffs/Fish/?action=view&current=DSCN4413.mp4

Reaction score
Hubby did another water change for the Proform C treatment, so grabbed a video while I was down there... other than she is having a hard time with her headstand type circles due to the water being low, the video is pretty consistent to how she has been acting...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's equilibrium is definitely affected. I would wonder if possibly a internal parasite or internal infection has gotten into the central nervous system. I have read of parasites that got into humans that cause this type of effect. After many years of keeping fish that isn't a good sign. I haven't seen very many fish period come out of a state like that and survive for a very long time. I know that's not what you want to hear and I really do hope someone chimes in with a suggestion or better course of action. I would love to help but I can't even find anyhing close to what is going on in my koi health book and honestly never seen that in anything but small koi and usually when I see it in them they are very skinny and almost appear to be starving away, or wasting away. Then the twirling starts. That fish looks fat and healthy other than the twirling. Best of luck and really wish I could help more.

Reaction score
I would love for it to be some sight returning, but that is such a simple answer, it feels like it would too good to be true. This is why I threw out her history too. Maybe she has been through too much. One of the weirdest things is still if you reach in and touch her, she okay again for a few minutes (while you are interacting with her). She ate good again this morning (wasnt interested yesterday morning but did eat some last night). She definitely isnt thin, and aside from one scale she lost last night (on the filter intake while the water was low), there isnt a single blemish on her body, and gills and gill plates look good too. When we first spotted her behavior, I did an immediate ammonia test (hubby usually does the testing) and it was off of zero, but just barely to .25, so know that wasnt it. I have no clue what else to look for. I already posted above the issues that we spotted with the fish in quarantine... and her companion is fine too. Even with the water change going on in the last video, no one is freaking out. Tonight will be the last dose of the Proform C and then will be hitting the QT with Prazi next, so if there is anything going on that way, I would think they would hit it. I dont see anything going on, the QT fish look clear, just a precaution before moving them out to the pond. I really hate being in this situation. Feel like I know too much about some things, and no where near enough about others, and just cant fill that gap:-(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I can think of three conditions that would affect a koi like this but fiest check your water perameters again and that nitrite which needs to be done to get the full picture .............
Swimbladder you often see swimming like this when a koi has a swimbladder disorder , try feeding shelled frozen peas and earthworm for a couple of days it has a laxitive effect on the fish and sometimes releaves any pressure on the swimbldder, or you could try floating the koi in a floating net till things either go right and the fish recovers, or the fish gets worse and you have to euthanize it .
The next is Gass Bubble disease where there is to much disolved oxygen in the water and its basclly giving your koi the bends , Check the koi's fins for signs if small bubbles in them.
To tell if the water is super saturated place your hand in the water if hundereds of tiny bubbles form on your hand then that is the problem.
Its recomended you do a number of large water changes to rid the tank of this sadly if the bubbles have formed in the koi's blood it may well prove fatal.
Lastly koi have exllent eyesight ( akin to us humans ) this koi has lost an eye so it may well be trying to compensate for this missing eye., it should after time get used to the idea of being blind in one eye , I've seen fancy goldfish with no eyes they seem to do well by using their other senses.
It's now basically a process of a bit of detective work ,to get your answer.
I hope these suggestions are of some help for you in traciking down the problem
Best of Luck with finding your answer.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
>

Thanks Dave. We lost her about 3 months ago, but would really like to figure out what went wrong with her... It was the nitrATe test that we were out of. Nitrites were fine. We did get a new nitrate test, and it was low. I dont remember the exact number now, but think it was around 20... Our nitrates never go higher than 40 ppm...

>

We did try to feed her peas, and did get some into her, but by the time we tried this, her interests in eating were minimal. Either we didnt get enough in, or it was too late for trying them...

>

She did great for a long time blind... Maybe some sight was returning in the one eye, but I still dont think if it was returning sight, it would have caused this much of an extreme. It would have been great if it were it, but doubt it... She seemed a bit off, but nothing you could put your finger on before adding the Proform C to the water, but wonder if that was a contributing factor?

The proform and prazi were used as precautionary for new fish we took in... We usually dont lose fish. We have, but it has always been relating to a purchased fish LOOKED healthy, and we didnt quarantine, and they came with baggage. Hard lesson to learn to quarantine PERIOD, no matter how many years ya been LUCKY.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes an autopy helps..... we did one on a friends cream ogon a beautiful koi that suddenly started to do the same as your own koi.
Now I've done one or two so know how to do do them and know where to cut my inspection port .
I cut out the inspection port we needed to view the internal organs and the first thing we notice was a lot of very yellow fat now our guess was a swimbladder disorder but when we took a look the bladder we were both extremely shocked to see that it had burst .
I didnt make a mistake with my cut into it, as my cut was well above the swim bladder, as how it had burst we knew not, perhaps the koi did it by jumping out of the pond and flip flopping back into it.
Maybe the fat put pressure on the swimbladder causing it to burst.
But basically the truth is like yours, we dont know how it came about but Matt who's (he is a fish shop employee and knows his stuff).
He noticed the same behavour that your koi was showing and in the end this beautiful koi went belly up, so he gave us a shout
I have an extremely good first aid kit including surgical scalples etc etc .
So as we arrived we euthanized it using MS222 doing the autopsy less than half an hour after the koi had very peacefully passed away.
I have some photos of it somewhere I'll try and dig them out for you to look at

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question