stupid question about rain

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
So it's pouring today and suppose to last until Sunday. On and off periods of rain. This is my first season with a pond and now fish as of a few days ago. They seem very happy in their new home :)
So anything I need to do after all this rain stops? Should I test the water to be on the safe side? I'm sure my PH levels might be off but what other potential problems can all this rain cause. Cloudy water??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ph may lower but if it gets really warm out after the rain stops you may end up with an algae bloom .We have been getting rain since monday .I tested my water yesterday and so far it is fine .I think the crushed oyster shells help a lot in stabilizing it

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will usually see an algae bloom a few days after I get a lot of rain say a few inches or more.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
sissy said:
ph may lower but if it gets really warm out after the rain stops you may end up with an algae bloom .We have been getting rain since monday .I tested my water yesterday and so far it is fine .I think the crushed oyster shells help a lot in stabilizing it
When I did my clean out I noticed some broken sea shells in the pond and was questioning how the hell they got there!! lol. Shows you what I know about ponds!! I'm assuming the prior owner put them in for that reason. I took some of them out. I will look at getting some oyster shells!! Thanks

taherrmann4 said:
I will usually see an algae bloom a few days after I get a lot of rain say a few inches or more.
And when you do, do you use anything to fix it? These are all issues I have not experienced yet and hopefully do not but want to be prepared if it happens and not be scrambling to find answers at that point.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No it will take care of itself within a few days, i just pull out any of the string algae that I can. I do not put anything into my pond to treat the algae bloom. It is usually worse early in the spring or summer before all my plants take off and start sucking up all the nutrients therefore starving out the algae. I just picked up some hyacinth and water lettuce this weekend, once those start growing it won't be an issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just pic up the fine algae cells with quilt batting my basket in my filter

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pouring here, it just stopped, pond totally mucked up, it is clearing already. I usually do nothing, have crushed oyster shells to keep the ph up and the hardness up. I use 100 lbs a summer, just put it in, that too mucks the water up, but it clears in a hour or so.

No algae bloom here, the bog doesn't let algae get going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tractor supply or southern sttates or leggets or any farm store .I get PDZ there also it is zeolite

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Depending on how your pond and yard are situated, you might want to keep a lookout for low spots where either "yard run-off" can enter the pond, or where pond water might try to escape [maybe, taking fish with it]. Then when you find those spots, you can raise the sides, add a drain, or take other measures to keep the 2 waters separate [ie, French drain....].

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Peacan, I never seen no rain either up here! Bugs will get me if the rain does not come quick and hard soon! the leafs have not "leafed" out on the Ash trees yet and already the little catapillers are out and looking for food!! My next problem is there will be a fire ban soon if this hot dry wind continues, and I'm having to top off pond more than normal!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
Addy where do you get your oyster shells

sissy said:
tractor supply or southern sttates or leggets or any farm store .I get PDZ there also it is zeolite

yep tractor supply cheap fix for our soft acidic water, rain and well. I do not rinse them, they do cloud the water, but mine clears in an hour or so.

Ask a Question