stupid question about scrubbies

Reaction score
I am about to build my filters this weekend and I have never herd of scrubies before what are they? I was planning on using bio balls does anyone know witch is better. I am still not sure on if I want to make 2 smaller stock tank filters or a garbage can filter. How full do these have to be.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
scrubbie or scouring pads are fiber inter-woven material. similar to matala matting but tighter woven and thinner. You can get 6- 6'x4" pads in a pack for $1 if you cut them in smaller pieces they will fill up more area for the money than bio balls will. Which is better? I would say possibly bio-balls because they may back flush a little easier and better but i can't say that with certainty as I have not tested the two side by side in similar applications but i do use both, one on one pond one on the other. very pleased with both, but for the money scrubbies are hard to beat. $30 gave me 10" of media cut up in 1" squares, the same amount for bioballs would have been about $65.
I just recently built a 35 gallon trash can filter and then converted over to a drum, I don't recommend using a trash can, even the big heavy duty ones I would be scared to use full of water in a light freeze, with the drums I am far more comfortable it would be ok.
This is the one I did for my 300 gallon pond, if your going bigger than 1000 or are thinking about koi I would highly consider using multiple chamber and possible a settling chamber of Vortex.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/generation-one-trash-master-t7915p6.html

Reaction score
I couldnt find scrubbies at affordable prices where I live, so I went for a "craigslist" purchase of 300 liter of 3 or 4 different kind of plastic bio media, much of which is really intended for bakki showers (most of my media floats).

Now I would guess that scrub pads are better to filter fines out as well, but for that same reason, likely inferior to bioballs for biological filtration. If you fill an entire barrel with it, I would also be concerned about spots of standing water. Still, if you are going with a "one barrel does all" approach, scrub pads are likely your best bet. If you go for a staged approach with one barrel doing mechanical filtration (vortex/sieve/brushes) and other for biological, I think bioballs, K1 and the like would be better.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Sams club is actually the cheapest place for the pads i've found here...3M, box of 20 is $6.00 there twice the size of the dollarstore ones..6" x 10". the blue cut to fit furnace filters at Lowes and Home Depot etc.. are excellant you can cut them to fit the barrel like a Matala mat....theyre like $5.00.
this is what your looking for:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2235&d=1270244354

heres one cut to fit a filter:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5423&d=1304874533

****I MIGHT ADD...THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION... IS THE ONE YOU DONT ASK!!***

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I am going to reply to this with a CAUTION. The scotchbright looking scrubby pads you get from the dollar store will degrade in a short time and end up elseware, such as you fish's gills(worst case). Plus if they are dyed which most are, that will end up in your system as well. I have done this so I know. Same thing with the blue filters you get from HD. I purchased some pricey 2" thick white matting from my local pond store about 3 years ago that seems to me holding up so far. I think the only scrubbie pad I would use would be the ones that look like small bean bags that are mad of plastic mesh. Bio balls would be the best but there are cheaper alternatives that will work also. The plastic strapping that come around boxes works well. You can buy in bulk online.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you just have to get the ones that arent color coated...4th year with the same pads, 1/2 from the dollar store and furnace filter pads i posted...no problems at all, let alone what youve described...the green furnace filters are the ones that break down...they are from naturalaire as well but say right on the package "Biodegradable"...
and i gotta add that my filter media gets used 24/7/365 between my 1200 gal outdoor and 800gal basement wintering ponds.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
you just have to get the ones that arent color coated...4th year with the same pads, 1/2 from the dollar store and furnace filter pads i posted...no problems at all, let alone what youve described...the green furnace filters are the ones that break down...they are from naturalaire as well but say right on the package "Biodegradable"...

I didn't want to scare anybody with my statement, just a precaution. This was just my experience. I couldn't find any around my area that weren't dyed. I didn't purchase the bio ones, just the regular blue ones. I got less then 6 months out of them when I had them three thich in my stock tank filter. I was actually netting the fibers up in the bottom muck(before BD). I will mention that everything here in Florida doesn't last as long in the summer heat.

Attachments

• DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 419

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
This was from my first build 5 years ago. I had this for my 900gal pond. I now have two doc style upflow with one more to build. I just wanted to show the kind of pads I had trouble with in the past.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I went and got a trash can fro hd thats pretty heavy duty not to worries about a freeze here I am in jacksonville fl it does freeze here but not for long and just barely. After reading these replies what I think I am going to do is build a chamber filter with bio balls at the bottom and them some blue filter floss stuff I can get it cheap at the fish store by my house. Bio balls will cost a pretty penny to fill up but if there is anything I learned from my saltwater tank is if you are not completely sure buck up and spend the money. Always better safe than sorry. Oh and fyi the pond is a 160 kidney shaped from hd with a couple tubs for plants to grow in the water fall. so I figure total water volume will be a little over 200-230 gallons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Robert, someone said that the clear tubing that you can find in hardware stores is great for bio material, if you cut it up in 1" pieces. I got a 20' roll of 1/2" tubing, and cut it up and have a pretty good supply of pieces that good bacterial can grab hold of, for I think it was $2.50. To me, the bio material is the cheapest and easiest to find and use. One lady on here had a class of kids, and they all came up with ideas of items that could be used. The more surface area, the better! Good luck! BTW, I'm just a beginner, but sometimes the beginners learn quickly. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have left over, or scraps of pvc, cut it up into small pieces.

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Robert, someone said that the clear tubing that you can find in hardware stores is great for bio material, if you cut it up in 1" pieces. I got a 20' roll of 1/2" tubing, and cut it up and have a pretty good supply of pieces that good bacterial can grab hold of, for I think it was $2.50.

Good idea actually. Its also not as smooth as PVC pipes, Im guessing that would make it easier for bacteria to adhere to. And being transparent, you can see whats going on :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question