Stupid question but any “quick fixes”?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the green water and I know it’s nature taking it’s course. The pond has been running with bacteria I’ve placed in regularly for about 3 months. I have an 18w UV and pump running at about half strength (to help the UV) and I just can’t shake this green water. (125 gallons, 7-8 plants, 2 shubunkin)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here she is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Way more plants. The algae is having a hay day because there’s is so much food. Including dead algae your killing with the UV. Snake eating it’s tail kind of deal. The algae can be combatted for real one way. Starvation. If I’ve learned anything here it’s that. It had to be beat into me. Trust me, it works. You could add bacon to my pondwater and passed it as split pea soup a month ago. The crips, cat tails, Jenny and lilies had other ideas once I put them in. My pond is 34” deep with a black liner and I can see my baskets on the bottom now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One other note - these small ponds are way more sensitive to changes that a bigger pond would shrug off. Getting them in balance and keeping them there can be a real challenge! But the plus side is you don't need to do much to make it work - a couple of plants in that pond and the water will clear overnight!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can I ask you sine I see flowers next to the pond ,do you fertilize them .That fertilizer can get in the pond and feed the algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also have the water iris in a pot with soil submerged in the pond because I don’t have a big area...would that also be contributing to the green water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No - the dirt won't hurt anything, unless it's one of the fertilized planting mixes. That would definitely contribute to green water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My little hot tub pond went from green to clear with the addition of plants. I have a Lowes bucket with some matala pads and a small pump running. But added a ton of plants.

The string algae that was trying to grow disappeared, loss its nutrients.

Ask a Question