Stupid rain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ugh....I feel like I’m never going to be able to finish my pond. Was planning on finishing plumbing the water fall box tomorrow and doin the liner and adding water Saturday. But we had a rain of biblical proportions today and when I got home from work the pond was literally almost half full! A muddy mess. One shelf collapsed. Supposed to be upper 90s next 3 days so it should dry out.

But, it got me thinking. As much as it filled up with the crazy rain...do I need a way to direct overflow in heavy rains? What do you folks do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes! You always want to plan for an overflow. In our case, we have a negative edge that flows into a rain exchange. At the topmost limit of the rain exchange we have a drain pipe that leads to the storm sewer. So if (as in when!) we get torrential rains and fill the basin, the water has somewhere to go. It fills up, but it rarely goes over the top.

Flood.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do you mean by “rain exchange”?

And negative edge meaning a lower edge where the water would flow out of first?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m here to complain. Feel free to ignore me, but it’s either this or I kick the dog! Took half say off to work on pond. Mostly dried out. Having a wee bit of trouble getting the kink free tubing to fit on the barb. Kids come home from pool and need to go to store prior to soccer game. We go. Come back. I left the hose on and somehow the wand sprung a full leak. Pond is 1/3 full of water. It’s a freaking mud bath again! UGH!@“-:&@“”

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Always something! Sorry it leaked on you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What do you mean by “rain exchange”?

And negative edge meaning a lower edge where the water would flow out of first?

A rain exchange is an underground storage tank. We have 1000 gallons of water stored underground.

And yes, the negative edge is where the water flows out of the pond into the rain exchange.

Ahhh...Lisa, that looks gorgeous and unique the way the pond meets the patio.

Thanks! But that's not exactly how it is supposed to look - that was following some flooding rains. Here's what it usually looks like - minus the bathing dog! He was just trying to cool off after some intense frog hunting!
Toby.JPG

Ask a Question