sturgeon competing with koi for food

Reaction score
This may seem a silly question, but i have a diamond back sturgeon in with my koi and gold fish, my problem is that it cannot compete with the others when they are feeding, i know they come to the surface when they are hungry, but mine almost lives on the surface, we hand feed him prawns and normal food,( so i know he always gets food), does anyone know a way for him to be fed on the bottom, i've tried feeding up one end of my pond with floating food then put sinking pellets at the other end, but the others still get to it before he does. i'll appreciate any ideas

Reaction score
Angler,

I have seen bottom feeders in very large public aquariums being fed through a length of what must have been PVC pipe. The middle and top feeders never see it passing to the bottom feeder. Just an idea my friend.

Reaction score
maybe when he gets bigger he will be fine. sturgeon get huge

sturgeon61.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oldhead said:
maybe when he gets bigger he will be fine. sturgeon get huge

sturgeon61.jpg

wow that sucker will empty a pond! that is huge.............

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Unless that guy is already dead, there is no way they could hold it at water level. I remember catching these as a kid on the Missouri River, their razer sharp spines would cut their hands instantly. I think this may be Photoshopped.

Reaction score
Pond Master, i'll try the pipe, if it work's you're a genius, i would never have thought of that, thanks for taking an interest.

Mick

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Angler,

I have seen bottom feeders in very large public aquariums being fed through a length of what must have been PVC pipe. The middle and top feeders never see it passing to the bottom feeder. Just an idea my friend.

Good idea, just make sure you don't use floating food. LOL

Reaction score
Thank you, however, this was something I observed at a public aquarium. Be sure that when you do this that you are distracting the top feeders with plenty of food otherwise they will catch on very quick. It's amazing how smart our fish are. You may have to work with this some to get it perfected.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I always feed the hogs first with large pellets and when they start getting full, I put food (smaller pellets) in for the little guys. That way, everybody eats.

Reaction score
i don't think i've ever seen the big guys full, they just seem to eat for the sake of it, my cocker spaniel drinks out of the pond and i've seen them go after his ears while they are hanging in the water, i've tried the pipe today, but the stupid creature is still going around the sides, i'll persevere but still feed him the prawns

Reaction score
well i tried the pipe and as soon as i go near it the koi just follw me and wait at the bottom, so i'm still feeding 'bob' (thats what we call him) the prawns, i have to push the others away as the try to pinch them off him, i've now started to walk around the pond and sprinkle floating food on the top as i go cause the other fish follow me while the wife drops some sinking pellets at the other end, but to be honest i think he prefers prawns to sinking pellets and is just playing up

Ask a Question