Submersible or external pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just figured a very rough estimate of my pond size. My estimate is 3k gallons. I am building my skimmer and bog filter right now.
What type of pump would be recommended external or submersible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You'll find there are folks here who use both types. More of a personal preference really as both will work fine. Much depends on your pond layout, space, configuration, etc.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use external, only use submersible on my tiny deck pond and hot tub pond. Much prefer external, no fighting a pre filter that gets clogged up under water. I only use a leaf basket before the pump to keep any large stuff that manages to wander that way out of the pump.

Sequence and Laguna are good brands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with addy1. I prefer an external pump. It's easily accessed if there is a problem and the leaf basket prevents it from getting clogged. Also, if there are electrical issues, the fish won't be affected.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like my submersible Laguna Max flo as I can leave it on all winter underwater and allow water circulation to continue even in our cold months. We don't get many hard freezes here tho. I keep the waterfall going w/a pre-filter attached to the intake hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How much air circulation does an external pump need? I would like one coming off my surface skimmer. I want to put a box in the ground next to the bottom of the skimmer to house the pump. The lid for the box would be even with the ground.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a Sub . laguna pump and have not had a problem yet with them .I even have their aerator /.Energy cost is low and as long as you keep the pump cage clean they save you more .I do not put my pumps on the bottom of the pond .I hang them from a metal pipe that leaves me easy access to them .I use 2 pumps and 1 goes to each filter ,since I have 2 filters

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How much air circulation does an external pump need? I would like one coming off my surface skimmer. I want to put a box in the ground next to the bottom of the skimmer to house the pump. The lid for the box would be even with the ground.
I have half a 55 gallon barrel over my external, I just have a few holes drilled in the sides for air flow. It never gets that hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mine is a Tetra submersible. I too keep it off the bottom. I have a string attached to it for easy lifting. Sitting up higher it won't get clogged with any muck that might accumulate on the bottom. But the main reason being If the plumbing outside the pond leaks, it won't completely drain the pond. I plan on building a bog filter this Spring and I'm going to route all my plumbing so that nothing is outside the pond. Therefore, any plumbing leaks that may occur, will just leak into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pros and cons
submersible clog easy which can burn out the motor. while the pump ages theres more of a chance the internal oils can begin leaching. much easier to plumb. much easier to remove for winter or not just unplug and leave sitting at the bottom of the pond. in warmer climates submersibles add heat to the pond. cost more, you can work on the pump without effecting the pond. Quieter and less vibration for the fish

i use external

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just throwing as many ideas I can think of out there. I'm always the cautious one.

You never know when you might get a crack in a pipe or a loose clamp etc. It was my fault, but once I forgot to tighten a clamp and I lost a lot of water.

That's why when I build my bog this Spring, all plumbing will be located such that if there's a leak, it can only flow back into the pond.

I built the base of my waterfall that same way. The liner underneath the falls is concave and pitched toward the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL got it! My waterfalls, bog piping , pond piping are all inside the pond/bog. The pump plumbing is outside. So far so good! I have always used external, never have had a issue.

Good thing my ponds would drain fast if the lines broke, i.e. a massive leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I was freaked out when I saw like 1,000 gallons missing! My submersible pump was hanging on it's rope that keeps it off the bottom. The pump was running dry, but the ordeal didn't kill it luckily. I did lose one really huge koi though. I guess there wasn't enough oxygen in that smaller amount of water. Since then, I added a tee fitting in my aerator line and now have two large air stones.
Again, it was all my fault. The previous day I was servicing my pressure filters and failed to tighten a clamp. Bog for me come Springtime. Those two pressure filters are not really doing a great job anyway.

Ask a Question