submersible pond pump

Reaction score
Hey everybody!
as some of you know Im about to make a huge addition to my pond in January however the last thing i need is a subersable pump. I know somewhere on here there are links to an energy efficant and very hard working pump but I can't find it :biggrin:
Currently have 250 gal but going ot expand to abotu 3000 and going to have three 55 gal filter like dave makes but I need to know which pump to get to push water form the deep end to the 55gal drums...
can someone please help me out? with either the link already in here or a new one?
Thank you much

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am partial to the Home Depot Beckett W1150. If necessary use 2. The nice thing about these for me is they are less than a mile away and they will do a no questions asked exchange for 2 years on the Beckett.

The smaller Becketts never made it past 2 years but the W1150 has been going strong for 3 years now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't care much for submersible Pumps, they are energy hogs.
The Beckett W1150 consumes 144 watts, 1.3 A.
If it were my pond I would go with the Sequence 3600seg, consumes a maximum of 140 Watts.Max amps 1.40
You can easily build a manifold and divert water any where you want it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
laguna pumps are about as energy efficient as you can get for submersables the 2400 gph pump pulls 100 watts, 3200 gph pulls 130 watts.. pretty comparable!!!
i use tetrapond for convenience (lowes is a mile away) and they have proven themselves reliable and have a 3 year warranty

Reaction score
All this talk about effiency has me wondering who verifies these numbers? I would bet almost all of these numbers are off more than 25% if not more.

Reaction score
I have a laguna that pumps the waterfall right now and have been pretty happy with it, i like the lower energy cost too! Thank you for the replies

Reaction score
UL listings would have nothing to do with effiency. UL doesn't verify these figures, only that the product is up to snuff from a safety perspective.

Reaction score
Buy you a Kill A Watt meter and check for your self as I did.

This is pretty much the only way to verify. I would love to see some figures on various pumps at different head heights, outputs etc. But I would'nt trust what is listed on the box much at all. Consider me a skepic, but gross misrepresentation is so prevelant nowadays I doubt pond pumps have escaped this.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
UL listings would have nothing to do with effiency. UL doesn't verify these figures, only that the product is up to snuff from a safety perspective.

never paid much attention to U.L listings.so i just researched a bit..from what i read.. they dont even guarentee products perform their tasks properly..just probably wont kill you

Reaction score
you guys are 100% correct, and I've read much about pumps that don't match the advertised wattage. My Sequence is accurate with a Kill a Watt meter, and sometimes even lower. The Evolution pumps are excellent and inexpensive, but the ones under 3500 GPH can sometimes be off...the more powerful ones are pretty true to what's advertised. That's why I went with the Sequence.

For a submersible, the Laguna is very energey efficient, which is why I had one when I used a submersible years ago. It is also very long-lasting.

But, DoDad is correct in that external pumps are much more efficient than submersibles for the output that they provide. They may be pricier on the front end, but they pay for themselves within a year in energy savings typically.

Reaction score
In order to get a true picture you would have to set up a test bed so each pump could be measured with the same head height through the same diameter hose. You would need a flow meter as well as the kill o watt and then measure watts per GPH. There are several variables at play here and what may look like an energy effiencent model might be cheating on the actuall flow rate. It would be an interesting project for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think most are measured with 0 head, just water running through them except sequence give the max watts that the pump will use at the max height.

Ask a Question