submersible pond waterpump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am new to pond keeping and just joined the forum. i have moved into a new house and inherited some koi and goldfish,unfortunately my waterpump has just stopped working and i need a new one.i basically need a pump to circulate water out of my filter house , through my uv light and to my waterfall. i have approx 9,500 litres to pump round,so if anyone has any help as which to buy i would be very grateful. thanks steve

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
hello i am new to pond keeping and just joined the forum. i have moved into a new house and inherited some koi and goldfish,unfortunately my waterpump has just stopped working and i need a new one.i basically need a pump to circulate water out of my filter house , through my uv light and to my waterfall. i have approx 9,500 litres to pump round,so if anyone has any help as which to buy i would be very grateful. thanks steve

Take your total volume, then choose a pump that moves twice that volume per hour. Look for a magnetic drive, they're more energy efficient. Looks to me like you need a 3000-3200 gph pump.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The mention of a "filter house" is why I asked.
As morewater suggested, the pump should circulate the entire volume of water in your pond twice per hour or 19,000 Lph.
Magnetic drive pumps are energy efficient but may require purchasing an oversized pump to achieve the desired flow rate due to loss of head. Depending on the size and height of your waterfall, a direct drive submersible may be better suited to your pond.
There are many good reliable brands on the market. Look for length of warranty, power cord length, and most importantly, a flow chart that you can use to determine the right model #.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mention of a "filter house" is why I asked.
As morewater suggested, the pump should circulate the entire volume of water in your pond twice per hour or 19,000 Lph.
Magnetic drive pumps are energy efficient but may require purchasing an oversized pump to achieve the desired flow rate due to loss of head. Depending on the size and height of your waterfall, a direct drive submersible may be better suited to your pond.
There are many good reliable brands on the market. Look for length of warranty, power cord length, and most importantly, a flow chart that you can use to determine the right model #.
thank you so much for your time and help iwill take all your comments on board. thanks steve

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a 3800 GPH matala geyserflow. I can't say they have been trouble free and unless I get 3 or 4 years out of this one I'm not getting another matala.as it stands right now it's doing a great job and has been since spring of this year. I have a 2500 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a 3800 GPH matala geyserflow. I can't say they have been trouble free and unless I get 3 or 4 years out of this one I'm not getting another matala.as it stands right now it's doing a great job and has been since spring of this year. I have a 2500 gallon pond.
thank you for your info,i will take it on board.

Ask a Question