Submersible pump and filter, which one ?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello to the forum,
I have a small pond (3200 liters) still water with few fishes and many algae :-(. I've no filtration in place and no space for an external system (see picture). I was planning to install a submersible filtering system and I really appreciate your help.
Till now the better I selected are:

- Laguna PowerClear Multi 7000 mit UV-lampe
- Pond Filter / 11w UV Steriliser / 2500L/H Pump / Fountain ALL IN ONE SYSTEM (from allpondsolution)
- hozelock easyclear 4500

I'd love to install an external filtering system but looks quite difficult to make a nice set-up wife compatible ;-)
Which one do you think is the best ? I also read that the UVC underwater could be dangerous for the possible leakage on the lamp, is this danger real ? Any other advice ?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_095509.jpg
    IMG_20170527_095509.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 245

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
I use external pumps etc. You will get some good input from others on the forum as to what might work best for you.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcomeflowrs.gif

I like that formal pond. I don't have enough experience to recommend a pump, but others here will chime in and give you good advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Laguna is a good brand.
I would recommend the Laguna model you posted, but it will take a while to get your pond completely clear because of the lack of complete water movement.
You could set the filter up, let it run until the water is clear, manually stir up the bottom of the pond, let it clear again and continue that process until you were caught up on the pond backlog of maintenance.
You'll need to clean the mechanical filtration components more frequently in the beginning.
Regular stirring up of the pond bottom should be part of your maintenance routine, or install a separate pump to help with water circulation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could hang a crate off the side with quilt batting in it and a temporary pump .I like laguna because of energy savings and great warranty .I have several of them

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Welcome!
Laguna is a good brand.
I would recommend the Laguna model you posted, but it will take a while to get your pond completely clear because of the lack of complete water movement.
You could set the filter up, let it run until the water is clear, manually stir up the bottom of the pond, let it clear again and continue that process until you were caught up on the pond backlog of maintenance.
You'll need to clean the mechanical filtration components more frequently in the beginning.
Regular stirring up of the pond bottom should be part of your maintenance routine, or install a separate pump to help with water circulation.

HI Mitch, thank you for tour reply. Do you mean that to have the water clear the pond bottom needs to be perfecly clear ?
I thought that the green water were more a problem removable with UV light stuff and microfiltering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi leogala,
The pond bottom does not need to be perfectly clear, but any detritus that accumulates on the pond bottom will eventually decompose and provide nutrients for algae growth.
Unless you want to add some plants that will take up nutrients that can feed algae, in your pond you will need to stay on top of detritus buildup.
It depends on the ultimate design that you have in mind for your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
and I too like the Laguna submersible pump. I have a 4280 gph in my pond running my falls and filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the energy savings as much as the pump .So far not one problem with them

Ask a Question