Submersible Pump 'basket'?

Discussion in 'Pond Archive' started by Goldlexus, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. Goldlexus

    Goldlexus Guest

    We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
    is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
    the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
    pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!
     
    Goldlexus, Mar 6, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Goldlexus

    DrCase Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    745
    Location:
    Arkansas
    Wow that sounds like a lot of pump ..does it grind the fish up ??? you might try something like a laundry basket with holes smaller than your fish,,,any thing plastic ,would be best ................delbert
     
    DrCase, Mar 6, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Goldlexus

    ~ jan Guest

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:44:31 CST, "Goldlexus"
    wrote:

    >We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
    >is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    >reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    >current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
    >the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
    >pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!


    Whatever you put it in, that strong a pump needs lots of surface area or it
    will quickly clog. I'm thinking laundry/clothes basket that has screen door
    material over it. Or if you can find the really large mesh plant baskets
    and clam shell two of them together over it. ~ jan
    ------------
    Zone 7a, SE Washington State
    Ponds: www.jjspond.us
     
    ~ jan, Mar 6, 2008
    #3
  4. We use a 5 gallon bucket that Jim has drilled a million 1/2 inch holes
    through. It keeps the pull weak and keeps stuff bigger than 1/2 inch
    out of the pump. Jim has the bucket on bricks so the bottom of it is
    about 3 inches oiff the bottom.

    I think sewage pumps are not made for continuous duty. How is yours
    handling the steady use? Perhaps others will correct my impression.

    Phyllis
     
    Phyllis and Jim, Mar 6, 2008
    #4
  5. Goldlexus

    Pete C Guest

    Goldlexus wrote:
    > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our
    > waterfall. It is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up
    > our fish! For some reason the fish really like to hang out around the
    > pump, it must be the current it generates or something. Anyway, is
    > there something we could put the pump in that will allow waterflow
    > thru' and will keep fish safe? The pump stands 19" tall and is about
    > 13" wide. Thanks!


    Parrot cage, covered in fine neting?..............oh, ok............laugh ;)
    --
    Pete C
    London UK
     
    Pete C, Mar 6, 2008
    #5
  6. Goldlexus

    Kurt Guest

    In article ,
    ~ jan wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:44:31 CST, "Goldlexus"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
    > >is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    > >reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    > >current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
    > >the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
    > >pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

    >
    > Whatever you put it in, that strong a pump needs lots of surface area or it
    > will quickly clog. I'm thinking laundry/clothes basket that has screen door
    > material over it. Or if you can find the really large mesh plant baskets
    > and clam shell two of them together over it. ~ jan


    I thinks that's what mine is. Bought my pump and setup from a guy who
    puts these together. Works great and has never clogged in 5 years.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
     
    Kurt, Mar 7, 2008
    #6
  7. Goldlexus

    Goldlexus Guest

    This pump is made/designed for continuous use, it is not a problem. We've
    been running this pump for three years all Summer long. It is off from
    Oct.-May, on end of May-Sept.
    Looks like we will spend this weekend rigging up something. All the
    suggestions here has my brain whirling thru' some ideas we could try.
    THANKS!

    "Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
    news:...
    > We use a 5 gallon bucket that Jim has drilled a million 1/2 inch holes
    > through. It keeps the pull weak and keeps stuff bigger than 1/2 inch
    > out of the pump. Jim has the bucket on bricks so the bottom of it is
    > about 3 inches oiff the bottom.
    >
    > I think sewage pumps are not made for continuous duty. How is yours
    > handling the steady use? Perhaps others will correct my impression.
    >
    > Phyllis
    >
     
    Goldlexus, Mar 7, 2008
    #7
  8. Goldlexus

    Kurt Guest

    In article ,
    "Pete C" wrote:

    > Goldlexus wrote:
    > > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our
    > > waterfall. It is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up
    > > our fish! For some reason the fish really like to hang out around the
    > > pump, it must be the current it generates or something. Anyway, is
    > > there something we could put the pump in that will allow waterflow
    > > thru' and will keep fish safe? The pump stands 19" tall and is about
    > > 13" wide. Thanks!

    >
    > Parrot cage, covered in fine neting?..............oh, ok............laugh ;)


    Don't laugh, Good idea for those larger pumps.
    I have a 2 piece inline basket that fits on the intake of my submerged
    pump, and it's filled with foam pieces, whose nooks and crannies house
    all that hard-working bacteria that keeps my pond clean.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
     
    Kurt, Mar 7, 2008
    #8
  9. Goldlexus

    Reel McKoi Guest

    "Kurt" wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > I thinks that's what mine is. Bought my pump and setup from a guy who
    > puts these together. Works great and has never clogged in 5 years.

    =====================
    Window screen would clog in my ponds in a day or two.
    --

    RM....
    Frugal ponding since 1995.
    rec.ponder since late 1996.
    Zone 6. Middle TN USA
    ~~~~ } ~~~ }
     
    Reel McKoi, Mar 8, 2008
    #9
  10. Goldlexus

    Reel McKoi Guest

    "Goldlexus" wrote in message
    news:21Mzj.6006$H%3.852@trndny01...
    > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
    > is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    > reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    > current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
    > the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
    > pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

    =========================
    Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging if
    a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.
    --

    RM....
    Frugal ponding since 1995.
    rec.ponder since late 1996.
    Zone 6. Middle TN USA
    ~~~~ } ~~~ }
     
    Reel McKoi, Mar 8, 2008
    #10
  11. Goldlexus

    DrDave Innovator Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    6,922
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Fallbrook, Ca USA
    My large waterfall uses a submersible sump pump that also has a float shutoff in case the level gets low. Harbor Freight sells them for about $160.00US. The only fish that it has ever claimed are really small fry. It has a 1 1/4" outlet and moves a lot of water. I only run it a hour or 2 at a time unless I'm out there.
     
    DrDave, Mar 8, 2008
    #11
  12. Goldlexus

    Kurt Guest

    In article ,
    "Reel McKoi" wrote:

    > "Goldlexus" wrote in message
    > news:21Mzj.6006$H%3.852@trndny01...
    > > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
    > > is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    > > reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    > > current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
    > > the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
    > > pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

    > =========================
    > Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging if
    > a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.


    How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
    The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
    given all the area around it.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
     
    Kurt, Mar 8, 2008
    #12
  13. Goldlexus

    DrDave Innovator Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    6,922
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Fallbrook, Ca USA
    Correction on mine; it is a Wayne 1/2HP GDU800, 3800GPH @ 5' with a 1 1/2" discharge. It did come from Harbor Freight.
     
    DrDave, Mar 8, 2008
    #13
  14. Goldlexus

    Reel McKoi Guest

    "Kurt" wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article ,
    > "Reel McKoi" wrote:
    >
    >> "Goldlexus" wrote in message
    >> news:21Mzj.6006$H%3.852@trndny01...
    >> > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall.
    >> > It
    >> > is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    >> > reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    >> > current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could
    >> > put
    >> > the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and w ill keep fish safe?
    >> > The
    >> > pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

    >> =========================
    >> Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging
    >> if
    >> a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.

    >
    > How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
    > The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
    > given all the area around it.

    =====================
    I think ours is about 3500gph. Plant debris is what would clog mine quickly
    without some kind of "guard" around it. There are loads of plants in both
    ponds.
    --

    RM....
    Frugal ponding since 1995.
    rec.ponder since late 1996.
    Zone 6. Middle TN USA
    ~~~~ } ~~~ }
     
    Reel McKoi, Mar 10, 2008
    #14
  15. Goldlexus

    Kurt Guest

    In article ,
    "Reel McKoi" wrote:

    > "Kurt" wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > In article ,
    > > "Reel McKoi" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Goldlexus" wrote in message
    > >> news:21Mzj.6006$H%3.852@trndny01...
    > >> > We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall.
    > >> > It
    > >> > is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
    > >> > reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
    > >> > current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could
    > >> > put
    > >> > the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and w ill keep fish safe?
    > >> > The
    > >> > pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!
    > >> =========================
    > >> Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging
    > >> if
    > >> a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.

    > >
    > > How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
    > > The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
    > > given all the area around it.

    > =====================
    > I think ours is about 3500gph. Plant debris is what would clog mine quickly
    > without some kind of "guard" around it. There are loads of plants in both
    > ponds.


    Seems to me a large wireframe basket would solve that problem. Then,
    just put the bag over that so no fish go in.

    --
    To reply by email, remove the word "space"
     
    Kurt, Mar 10, 2008
    #15
  16. Goldlexus

    DrCase Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Messages:
    4,425
    Likes Received:
    745
    Location:
    Arkansas
    the 5 gal bucket would be great but his pump is 13 " wide.....the hardwear cloth would work but it rots out with age. maybe a big plastic flower pot with million and a half holes in it............delbert
     
    DrCase, Mar 10, 2008
    #16
  17. Our set up (5 gal bucket with a million 1/2" holes) reduces the pull
    on each hole and prevents items larger than the 1/2" that the pump can
    handle from getting in. Over the years NOTHING has stuck to the
    holes.

    Jim
     
    Phyllis and Jim, Mar 10, 2008
    #17
  18. Goldlexus

    Reel McKoi Guest

    "Kurt" wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article ,
    > "Reel McKoi" wrote:
    >> >> Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for
    >> >> clogging
    >> >> if
    >> >> a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.
    >> >
    >> > How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
    >> > The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
    >> > given all the area around it.

    >> =====================
    >> I think ours is about 3500 gph. Plant debris is what would clog mine
    >> quickly
    >> without some kind of "guard" around it. There are loads of plants in
    >> both
    >> ponds.

    >
    > Seems to me a large wireframe basket would solve that problem. Then,
    > just put the bag over that so no fish go in.

    ==========================
    I have two plant baskets wired together like clam shells. A bag? Anything
    finer than the plant baskets would clog in no time.
    --
    RM....
    Frugal ponding since 1995.
    rec.ponder since late 1996.
    Zone 6. Middle TN USA
    ~~~~ } ~~~ }
     
    Reel McKoi, Mar 11, 2008
    #18
  19. Goldlexus

    ~ jan Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:42:27 CST, "Reel McKoi"
    wrote:

    >I have two plant baskets wired together like clam shells. A bag? Anything
    >finer than the plant baskets would clog in no time.


    I guess I don't understand your problem. Your pump is clogging even with
    the clamshell?

    I think many of the answers were not to you, but to the OP who asked for
    suggestions to a pump with no protection at the time.

    Vinyl screening, imho, if held away from the pump, has about the same size
    openings as the mesh baskets I have seen. Really large mesh baskets are
    sometimes hard to find. Thus putting the pump in a bucket as Jim has done
    or laundry/tote basket and then covered with screening gives adequate
    surface area for most large pumps, and keeps tiny fry out. ~ jan
    ------------
    Zone 7a, SE Washington State
    Ponds: www.jjspond.us
     
    ~ jan, Mar 13, 2008
    #19
  20. Goldlexus

    Reel McKoi Guest

    "~ jan" wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:42:27 CST, "Reel McKoi"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have two plant baskets wired together like clam shells. A bag? Anything
    >>finer than the plant baskets would clog in no time.

    >
    > I guess I don't understand your problem. Your pump is clogging even with
    > the clamshell?


    No Jan. The clamshell keeps the plant debris out. A finer mesh "bag" would
    clog quickly.

    >
    > I think many of the answers were not to you, but to the OP who asked for
    > suggestions to a pump with no protection at the time.
    >
    > Vinyl screening, imho, if held away from the pump, has about the same size
    > openings as the mesh baskets I have seen.


    Not here where I live. Vinyl screening is so fine it clogs with algae and
    plant debris - I tried it already.

    Really large mesh baskets are
    > sometimes hard to find. Thus putting the pump in a bucket as Jim has done
    > or laundey/tote basket and then covered with screening gives adequate
    > surface area for most large pumps, and keeps tiny fry out. ~ jan


    True. A laundry basket is much larger than the largest plant basket. He may
    not have many plants either or many have different plants. I find vinyl
    screening clogs with algae faster than plant debris. That was just my
    experience with it.

    --

    RM....
    Frugal ponding since 1995.
    rec.ponder since late 1996.
    Zone 6. Middle TN USA
    ~~~~ } ~~~ }
     
    Reel McKoi, Mar 13, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JD19473

    submersible pump

    JD19473, Sep 15, 2008, in forum: Pond Construction & Equipment
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,490
    JD19473
    Sep 18, 2008
  2. Julius Leonid Maestral

    Submersible pump

    Julius Leonid Maestral, Jun 11, 2009, in forum: Pond Construction & Equipment
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    3,573
    koiguy1969
    Jun 16, 2009
  3. carolchenault

    Submersible pump and separate filter box confusion

    carolchenault, Sep 20, 2009, in forum: Newbies to Garden Ponds
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,571
    charrold
    Sep 21, 2009
  4. ctrgojo

    submersible pond pump

    ctrgojo, Nov 2, 2009, in forum: Newbies to Garden Ponds
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    2,350
    DrDave
    Nov 4, 2009
  5. mogsie

    air valve on submersible pump

    mogsie, Feb 2, 2011, in forum: Garden Pond Talk
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,930
    DrDave
    Feb 2, 2011
  6. Jim Robbins

    Submersible pump info.

    Jim Robbins, May 17, 2011, in forum: Pond Construction & Equipment
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,360
    mrsclem
    May 18, 2011
  7. Alvarero

    Pondmaster submersible pump maintenance

    Alvarero, Jul 14, 2011, in forum: Pond Construction & Equipment
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,075
    Cilyjr
    Jul 16, 2011
  8. DaneDad
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    841
    DaneDad
    Apr 25, 2013
Loading...