Submersible pump / filter not working...

Reaction score
Hello all!

Recently, my father passed away, leaving me with a koi pond I know nothing about... This morning I went outside and heard no waterfall... I unplugged the pump / filter and disconnected the hose via a radiator clamp. The discharge of the pump has a measurement of 1.75 inches diameter which leads to a makeshift waterfall. I put this pump / filter in the sink and took all the filters out (4) and took the top of the "Japanese Style" top and looked at the motor. It has a number stamped 551218. I think the unit came from Japan because of a sticker on the base of the unit...I wonder if anyone knows where to get a motor??? Or a pump/filter this style?

Since I know jack about koi ponds, I would guess it is about 15 inches deep, 5 foot in length by 4 foot in width... I loaded a photo from my cell phone camera and the photo was too large to attach... Anyone out there who can assist? $10 payment to whoever can help w/ the best solution.

Would I need to remove some water and put in some fresh water? My hands sure stink, hope the fish waste is not too great for the fish to die... Oh boy...The photo is somewhat of what our pump / filter looks like...

My user name is my email at aol dot com

Thanks!

Attachments

• tw-061.jpg
    tw-061.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows where to get a motor???
I'm a bit confused...the picture is from a web site but, but is it the pump you have?

Generally pumps of this size are replaced rather than fixed. But checking the price on the Seseragi 061at $500 I can see why you want to replace the motor. That is really expensive. I think you'd have to contact the manufacturer directly for replacement parts. I've never heard of any manufacturer selling replacement parts in the small backyard type market. A new pump in that size would be about $100.

Some pumps do have shaft replacements which can be the cause of the pump not working. But I would only do that if I was pretty sure.

With some messing around you probably could get another pump to work in that same box, if you were so inclined.

I'd just replace the entire unit. You could keep the light if you wanted, that should still work. If the light also doesn't work I'd check the electrical outlet by plugging something else into it. They go bad sometimes.

Since I know jack about koi ponds, I would guess it is about 15 inches deep, 5 foot in length by 4 foot in width...
Do you have Koi or Goldfish in the pond? If you don't know the difference that's OK. How about number and sizes?

I loaded a photo from my cell phone camera and the photo was too large to attach... Anyone out there who can assist? $10 payment to whoever can help w/ the best solution.
Solution for attaching a photo?

Would I need to remove some water and put in some fresh water? My hands sure stink, hope the fish waste is not too great for the fish to die.
Don't worry about the stink, that's normal. The fish are alive, doing stuff without really knowing stuff does often result in dead fish.

You absolutely should not remove water and replace it. In the hobby this is called a "water change" and there are benefits, but it can also kill fish if you don't know a couple of things. Is there chlorine in the water you'd be adding? Adding some to keep the pond full is generally OK, but replacing a lot of water with chlorinated water will probably kill the fish. And currently there's no reason to think a water change is needed.

If you're concerned a good, safe and inexpensive thing to do is add an air pump. They blow bubbles into the pond near the bottom and help with O2. I probably wouldn't, but if you're concerned I'd add one.

Testing the water is how you know if you have a problem. You can buy a test kit for $10-20 I think from local pet stores, pond supply or online. Most important test is for ammonia, next is KH, and then pH. Knowing the water temp can be important to. I'd stop feeding the fish until you're sure ammonia is zero.

Long term do you want to keep the pond? What kind of result are you looking for?

Keeping a pond isn't a huge deal but we are talking about several hours of reading and learning. Unless you have specific questions it's kind of hard to give general advice. Asking about something before you buy it would be easiest.

Ask a Question