addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They want better flow. The sump pump was there when they bought the house. We have gone over xxx times to get it running again.

So I am thinking a pond pump would do a better job. IE handle the head pressure and have decent flow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
No by sump pump I mean sump pump. That is what they have been using a 1/4 hp one.

The pump pushes the water into a filter hole. They have matala type filter pads and lava rocks in bags. Minimal fish load. Small gold fish.

Lots of plants.

They seem to be doing ok, but want it to stay on the cheaper side with decent electric efficiency
Sump pumps are not really intended for continues use. I think you would be better off with a pond pump. That pond is amazing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's what I was thinking, I like the Laguna Max pumps for their efficiency, but now sure it will handle the 5ft or volume of water needed for the waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Gorgeous!!!!!! Once you have an idea of what kind of pump to get, try pricing through Webb's online. They've had very competitive prices!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy no submersible comes close to the efficiency of a external pump almost by half. It's such a nice looking set up it might be worth it to them to spend a few now to hook up an external. the performance pro I just installed is crazy quiet it's no louder then a small office fan and it's a 12,000 gph I can't speak for the electric bill as yet but it should be in the neighborhood of 80 bucks a month here in ct. Submersibles how ever can on average push better head pressure with less hp

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD and everybody else inputs........... They don't want a external pump. It would ruin the ambiance. The place has formal gardens with beautiful flowers.

You can see the skimmer box / pump box lower corner of the picture.
20170521_134240.jpg

They are concerned about power use and monthly cost. Both work 1/2 of the year in Egypt on the pyramids, very educated, fly around when back here giving talks about the work over there.

A sister lives at the house all year, to remove a external pump would be more of a burden on her. A really neat old stone house.

I only use externals except for the hot tub pond, and that is a tiny Laguna. I have always liked externals,

I found a off brand, home depot, that says it is 6000 gph, if their head pressure is 10 feet, I think it is lower, the gph should be around 3000. The water fall is around 5 feet, add some line and connections head pressure might be 10ish feet. The picture above you can see the top of the water fall the filter box is up there, the pump input is around 2.5 feet lower. So the line is around 2.5- 3 feet above the output of the pump.

And if it does not work we can take it right back to HD. pg 6600

head pressure.JPG

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifegard-Aquatics-6600-GPH-Pond-Pump-R800004/204855646

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only other concern I would have would be the noise the pump makes. Even underwater a submersible can still hum more then I would care for as I just saw an other pond today that had a very loud hum to the pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The best thing is we can set it up and just return to HD if it is too loud does not work etc. I gave them a lot of choices they went for less expensive and decent power usage.

My little stream pump burned up, the one we replaced it with makes a lot more noise a high pitched humm so know what you mean. External pump. Right now I just ignore it, it only runs now and then on a timer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only time we hear our submersible pump is when the water gets low in the pump vault - then it chugs a bit. No humming or even mechanical sounds coming from it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could hear the sump pump running, if standing right by it. We were over there yesterday it is running but the flow seems a lot less again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only time we hear our submersible pump is when the water gets low in the pump vault - then it chugs a bit. No humming or even mechanical sounds coming from it.
what brand is that lisa and what hp

Ask a Question