Submersible pump

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
I recently acquired a plastic submersible pump and labeled as BPS-80 Pump by Arwana Pumps. It is bell shaped and the bottom part of the bell is where the water is sucked in. On the top part is where the sucked water exits and is where the electric cord is likewise situated. It is designed to be placed in a sump. It has a pump capacity of 40 liters per minute or around 634.0128 gallons per hour (am i correct?). I'm planning to use it on my pond which is 600 gallons, give or take. Would this be enough pumping capacity for this pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it will turn your pond over every hour..so its enough pump but it may cost you more to run than just buying a pond pump...not to mention, alot of sump style pumps are not meant for continuous operation. check the watt (amp rating if no watt) and figure your costs

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
it will turn your pond over every hour..so its enough pump but it may cost you more to run than just buying a pond pump...not to mention, alot of sump style pumps are not meant for continuous operation. check the watt (amp rating if no watt) and figure your costs
It states that it should be connected to a grounded line with a minimum capacity of 15 amps. In my haste of buying this I'm planning to take this back to the dealer and clear a lot of things up. You are right that it is not intended for continuous operation. In fact I'm beginning to doubt if this pump could be submerged entirely in the first place! Anyway any tips on a appropriate pond pump? :banghead3:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
there are many good pond pumps i use tetrapond, becketts are good, laguna are good. tetraponds come with a 3 year warranty i have 3 of them and all work flawlessly.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i cant say how long it would last...3 days.. 3 months.. a year???? arent you in the philipines? there is many places on the internet to but these and other brands...google one of the names.

Reaction score
Yup, I'm here in the Philippines. Anyway, I'm taking this back tomorrow. I feel like an idiot. There were other pond pumps there but I think they were not built for ponds but rather for aquariums. or if they were, they were not up to capacity. The others that were indeed for ponds were well beyond my budget. I bought this in a hardware store. The three sales-guys who sold this to me told me it was for a pond. = a pond alright, pond fountain that is, lol. :banghead3:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NNOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO METAL!!!! but large outdoor trash cans like the 'BRUTE' line at home depot will do nicely, a 44 gal works real nice!!!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
NNOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO METAL!!!! but large outdoor trash cans like the 'BRUTE' line at home depot will do nicely, a 44 gal works real nice!!!

I was really thinking like that when I was scouting for a drum = that metals are a big no-no (I actually read somewhere in this forum about that). So I acquired a plastic-ware common here in the Philippines used as a water container. It can contain about 105 liters. It is shaped like a drum and comes with a lid. I'm gonna start working on it tomorrow, with DCase's blueprint as my basis. :)

Ask a Question