Such thing as too much "Circulation"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a 300 Gallon Pond with a few goldies in it and am now running a 650GPH pump that runs into a diverter valve and one end comes straight up in to a "globe" wall type fountain head and the other goes to the top of an Concrete 3 tier Water Fall fountain which runs into a 4'' pond at the bottom of it and then to the waterfall that runs into the Pond itself. I also have a 200GPH pump in the same corner as the 650GPH about a foot apart running two more outlets on the Concrete Waterfall. Last but not least the 250GPH pump in the opposite corner of the pond that runs a Frog Statue spitter. With a Total of 1,050GPH in a 300 Gallon Pond, Is it too much? Is it Beneficial? Does it have it's down sides? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Aside from a lot of electric use.. nope. Can't think of any down side.

I would think that you could run the spitter and the two "concrete waterfall" outlets from the 250GPH pump and do away with the 200GPH pump. But it all depends on what it looks like when it's all said and done. If you like it, it won't hurt. Not in FL anyway. In cooler climes we'd be shutting all that down soon.

If the suction however makes your fish have to swim all the time, and you're not running a filter on these pumps, nor have plants, you might want to put all of the pumps or some of them on a timer and shut it down at night. Give the fish some "quiet" time. :razz:

Craig

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Craig! Yeah I have them on a timer along with the 3 LED lights on the bottom from 7am to 1am. I have no filter (except the Mesh filter about 8'' long on the big pump) and have not had any dirty water yet, just a little Brown on top of some of the rocks (maybe due to waste and Food? Me and My girlfriend live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 story house and with the pumps running as much as they do, our electric bill is only about $100 a month! Well since it only gets around 30-35 degrees here at it's coldest do I need to shut my pumps down in the winter? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No you could leave yours running. We pull ours since we can hit zero, average is the teens to 30 ish and stuff does freeze up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have gotten mine down to less than a 100 dollars and was amazed that an 8 year old fridge and range were using so much more electricity than the new ones .I do like to hang my clothes out on the clothes line though ,I love the smell of them when you bring them in but .I do have newer washer and dryer .I have changed out most everything here .But thing is now the utility company here have asked for another raise so what good does it do you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hahahaha Yeah I could do that, watch next month be Higher because I bragged lol. One more question: When do I need to stop feeding the Goldfish for the Winter? Thanks

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
When the water temperature hits 50 F. Between 50 and 55F, feed them a cold-weather (plant-base) food.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@addy - it still amazes me that you shut down your pumps in the Winter. You're a zone or two warmer than I am! I never let a little freezing water stop me, as long as I can keep the water within the pond.

@HARO - I wonder if that rule changes in different climates? I usually don't start feeding the Winter food until the water hits around 50F, and I keep feeding them as long as they want to eat. Sometimes we will get warm days into January and February where the fish are feeding again, so I'll give them a little. My water temps are lower than 50 for 4-5 months out of the year, I can't see the fish going that long without any food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy - it still amazes me that you shut down your pumps in the Winter. You're a zone or two warmer than I am! I never let a little freezing water stop me, as long as I can keep the water within the pond.

With my set up, the bog and a bad winter, the bog would begin to freeze up, the water would be super cooled going into the pond, with a cold night the pond temperature does a dive in temp. The pond is right now 56, when we had the 27 degree night it dropped to 46 over night. If we had freezing occur at the water fall, the next thing to occur would be the water would flow out of the bog. Into the back yard. I just don't feel it is worth the worry. We have an external pump also. One blip in the power, i.e. out, the pump would be history.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

, I can't see the fish going that long without any food.
Mine do, every year.
John

Ask a Question