Sudden Onset of Alge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As we wind down the season and prepare for spring here in Michigan my pond made a sudden change I wasn't expecting. The water has been very clean and clear, fish barely being fed as the water cools, etc. Suddenly in a matter of 3 days I've had an explosion of green alge on all the rocks, etc. It happened FAST! Anything I should consider doing or leave it alone? I assume it's just flourishing on nutrients in the water and maybe something changed with the temperature suddenly?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Correct. Leave it be. You've assessed it correctly. Your plants have probably slowed down to the point that the algae now has something to feed on. We have algae that grows in our pond in the dead of winter... different than any algae we see any other time of year. Also - every healthy pond has a good growth of algae on the rocks - overgrowth of string algae can be managed, but you should be encouraged to see carpet algae all over the pond.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question