Sudden Onset of Alge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As we wind down the season and prepare for spring here in Michigan my pond made a sudden change I wasn't expecting. The water has been very clean and clear, fish barely being fed as the water cools, etc. Suddenly in a matter of 3 days I've had an explosion of green alge on all the rocks, etc. It happened FAST! Anything I should consider doing or leave it alone? I assume it's just flourishing on nutrients in the water and maybe something changed with the temperature suddenly?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Correct. Leave it be. You've assessed it correctly. Your plants have probably slowed down to the point that the algae now has something to feed on. We have algae that grows in our pond in the dead of winter... different than any algae we see any other time of year. Also - every healthy pond has a good growth of algae on the rocks - overgrowth of string algae can be managed, but you should be encouraged to see carpet algae all over the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1573659595075.gif
@ourlimet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your pond smells bad then i would say there's an issue somewhere and that would explain a sudden explosion of algae. Like lisa said a carpet algae over all the rocks is a good sign but a strong bad odor is another story . Is there a lot of fallen leaves in your pond ? are all the fish accountable ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your pond smells bad then i would say there's an issue somewhere and that would explain a sudden explosion of algae. Like lisa said a carpet algae over all the rocks is a good sign but a strong bad odor is another story . Is there a lot of fallen leaves in your pond ? are all the fish accountable ?

Did you see any explosions of algae, anytime anywhere?

Ask a Question