Suddenly a fish appears...

Reaction score
Country
United States
This ever happen to you?
Two years after the baby koi's were born (and the last time since the mother died), a white koi shows up, about 6 inches, a little smaller and thinner than the other babies. It must have been hiding (or was stuck?) between the rocks for 2 years. We had never seen it before.
A fun surprise.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes happens often little koi show up I’ve never seen, they could have changed color though or it could have just been hiding like yours.
Even this past year the orfe in my pond spawned and 5 survived, early spring I didn’t see them anywhere in the pond for a couple months and figured something ate them, nope they had just been hiding all 5 are back out swimming around now that the water has gotten into th 60’s.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is neat when that happens. I once had goldfish spawn in one of my tub ponds, and when cleaning out the adjacent tub with turtles in the fall, which was connected by pump/overflow, found a 3 inch brown colored goldfish I had never noticed that made in there by some means that year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have fish end up in my fishless ponds all of the time, they don't, usually, make it over time. Herons, cold freezing winters (when we have them) they are small ponds, mainly for plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is fun to find babies in the pond! Usually! haha! Sometimes you're like "oh no! No more BABIES!" But we're in a rebuilding phase after having lost a lot of our fish to a parasite last year, so we are hoping to see babies this year for sure!

Ask a Question