Suggested Readings?

Reaction score
I'm wondering what are the suggested 'essential' readings for a first-time pond owner? I'm primairly interested in reading on what sort of maintenance I should be doing regularly and then other topics like 'do I have enough aeration', water plants, and 'how many fish'.

Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just ask on here .I own one book but really there is so much on the net .I google info .You will need a liquid test kit and a thermometer and how deep is your pond winters can be brutal where you live and fish may not survive if not taken indoors .Aerator or fountain head to give the pond plenty of oxygen .Better with goldfish they really are not fussy about water quality and remember they have babies .Koi get very large fast and really fussy about water quality .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Most everything I have learned about ponding I learned from the internet pond forums and also just googling a question here and there. There are just so many different ideas out there and you have to decide what works best for you.

Reaction score
I read Koiphen to learn about ponds.

For beginners I like the info and videos by Dr Johnson. He's been around a long time, been in intense discussions. Not your standard crap.

For DIY ideas I like Greg Bickal info. He has a CD too. He's mostly into Koi, but his ideas can be scaled to water gardens.

Unfortunately for water gardens almost all info on the web, in books, and on TV is based on myths and worst than worthless as they will lead you down a bad path.

Ask a Question