Suggestions appreciated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
So we started building our pond recently (pond is partially full) and you see that shelf there under the rocks? I designed it as a plant shelf but it wasn’t meant to be so wide... anyway. Husband thinks small river rocks there and I’m open to any suggestions you may have as far as making that shelf look natural and hopefully disappear a little in the design. Thank you!

Attachments

• 66F5AD74-446C-4CE0-81E9-C275FFC9433A.jpeg
    66F5AD74-446C-4CE0-81E9-C275FFC9433A.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wouldn't worry about it being too wide! I have shelves of different widths and depths. I really don't like the ones that are too narrow - I've had plants fall off and slide to the bottom. I really DO like my wide shelves!!!! It is neat seeing the fish swim all around the rocks and plants in a shallow area. It's visually very nice. And I swear the fish enjoy it. Can't wait to see the finished pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I redid my pond (we had water table and shifting clay issues!), I specifically made my perimeter shelf wide as I wanted to pile it up with rocks! I wasn’t so much interested in shelves for plants because I wanted to allow the plants to naturalized among the rocks instead of having them in pots.. Plus, there is never any liner showing. Now I wish I had made the shelves even wider than I did!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wide is good and if you need rocks I think flat ones are easier to allow crud to flow off the shelves. Any round type rocks laying on a flat surface will hold the crud in between them and will make it harder to keep the water clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wide shelves are good gives the fish a place to chill and warm up. also when you feed you can see them better

Ask a Question