Suggestions for Concrete-Pond Patching Product?

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hello. My concrete pond has developed a small leak where the concrete intersects with a natural boulder that the pond builders added to give the pond a natural appearance. I tried using a very strong, standard epoxy that isn't affected by water, but it did not fix the leak.

Because the leak is very small, I'm looking for a brand of hydraulic cement or other patching material that comes in a tube or other small container and therefore isn't too expensive. Ideally, the product would be available on Amazon because I'm sheltering in place at home and have Amazon Prime, so there would be no shipping costs and deliveries typically arrive fairly quickly.

Thanks for anyone's help,
Bill

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Update to my initial post. One product I found on Amazon: Red Devil 0645 Pre-Mixed Concrete Patch, 5.5 Oz Squeeze Tube, Pack of 1, Gray.

I posted a question in the Customer Questions & Answers section: "Has anyone used this product to patch an underwater crack in a concrete pond?"

The only reply so far: Raine answered--"Yes, we have. And it works great. Make sure the pond is super dry before you apply. Allow it to dry overnight. Then you are good to go."

Other reviewers have given mixed reviews. Some people love it; others say it didn't work. Oh, and the bottom of the tube tends to burst open when the tube is pressed. Yuk! One hopes the Red Devil people have addressed that issue!

Has anyone used this product? Or--from my initial post--any other product that they would recommend--or not?

Thanks,
Bill

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Well, _____________ (you fill in the space) helps those who help themselves. I've continued searching on these forums and elsewhere for some answers. Still hoping folks will chime in here, but until that happens....

One respondent on one thread in this forum says that they would recommend a two-part epoxy over a masonry product. One I found on Amazon looks promising: Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty Set. $18.49 and Prime. It has a very good score among Amazon users. The information says it stops underwater leaks. Two people in the Q&A section say they've used it successfully on a pond.

Has anyone used this product on their pond? Or can anyone recommend a different two-part epoxy for my application?

Meanwhile, back to the keyboard.

Bill

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593455075552.gif
@BSquared18
Sorry I know nothing about this as I don't have a concrete pond. Hopefully someone can help ya soon.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Like @j.w , I don’t know anything about concrete ponds. I guess there aren’t many people on here with experience, but if there are, give them time to see your posts. Or, you could do eenie meenie minee mo, and go with one of the products you have already researched. You also might try KOIPHEN to see if any of them have experience repairing concrete ponds. Sorry!

Post a picture of your pond and some close-up shots of the area(s) you are wanting to repair.

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm surprised that not many members have concrete ponds, since my searches on this forum have found many people discussing them. Maybe they are old posts; have concrete ponds become passé?

Anyhow, I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the pond fixed so I can add fish. Here in Minnesota, the ponding season is a bit short. So, I went ahead and ordered the Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty Set mentioned in my previous post. I'll report back on the results. The tube should be arriving in about two or three days.

I'm impressed by this forum and feel sure future posts asking for help will receive a better response.

Thanks,
Bill

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@BSquared18 You will find that pond trends come and go. For example, five years ago you were lucky to find people who have bog filters. Now, people are seeing the benefits of bog filtration, so yes, you will see a lot of bog-related posts (here and elsewhere). As to posts on GPF, if you’ll look at the date, you can see if it’s an old post. A lot of our members do as you have done, and join when they have a problem or a specific question, but don’t always stick around. These days, most folks with concrete ponds seem to have inherited them when they bought a house.

We are happy that you found us and glad that we can help with some issues.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I’ve seen posts regarding repairing a leak in concrete. I used the search feature and found a few posts that might be relevant but a lot of those posting for help don’t write follow ups with what actually worked in the end. I would have been inclined to just use caulk, my wife gives me a hard time that you can’t use caulk for everything and I always beg to differ. Please let us know what worked for you so when others have the same issue there will be a resource to refer to.

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I mixed and applied the Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty (mentioned in my earlier posts) to the small area where a leak was occurring. So far, so good. I applied the mix below the water line, which the manufacturer says will work. And it did. The epoxy cured hard and has remained intact. Time will tell, of course. We'll see what it's like after one or two Minnesota winters.

A couple of points anyone planning to use this epoxy should keep in mind. First, it cured bright white. Fortunately, the patch for the most is in an area where it is hidden from view. Nevertheless, when I drain the pond for the winter, I'll paint over the patch with gray paint. Secondly, the directions on the tubes but not on the instruction sheet say to wear gloves to hand-mix the two parts of the epoxy.

By the way, there's a hilarious video showing someone in scuba gear using the epoxy to repair a swimming pool underwater. It's titled Repairing Underwater Cracks in Swimming Pool HOW TO. Why he didn't cut off the pieces from each tube before entering the swimming pool I will never understand.

Bill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You say you'll drain it for the Winter. Do you drain your pond every Winter? Is that necessary in your area? How deep is it?

I'm in zone 6b, northeastern Pennsylvania. I leave mine and the fish always do fine. I use a low wattage deicer to keep a small hole in the ice for gas exchange. My two air stones get lifted up to about a foot from the surface. The deepest part is about 3 feet. I have some pretty big koi in there too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, _____________ (you fill in the space) helps those who help themselves. I've continued searching on these forums and elsewhere for some answers. Still hoping folks will chime in here, but until that happens....

One respondent on one thread in this forum says that they would recommend a two-part epoxy over a masonry product. One I found on Amazon looks promising: Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty Set. $18.49 and Prime. It has a very good score among Amazon users. The information says it stops underwater leaks. Two people in the Q&A section say they've used it successfully on a pond.

Has anyone used this product on their pond? Or can anyone recommend a different two-part epoxy for my application?

Meanwhile, back to the keyboard.

Bill
if your boulder was in place and then they sealed around the boulder that is a mistake . the pond should be made waterproof then place a boulder ontop of the cements. Grinding both materials the pool and the boulder creating a troff Between them fill with epoxy is your best bet and or coat the entire boulder with a marine paint or even flex seal paint and or paste . polyurethane caulking can also be effective

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Poconojoe, your setup sounds perfect for your purposes.

Concerning draining, let me clarify. I drain the pond to facilitate removing the fish. They are easier to catch in shallow water. Also, there is a filter setup that needs to be removed, which is easier in an empty pond. Then, I refill the pond, which was recommended by the pond's builder to equalize the pressure on the pond once it freezes. For the twenty or so years we've had the pond, this method has worked very well.

The total population of the pond consists of two dozen small, feeder goldfish, which totaled less than ten dollars cost. We greatly enjoy watching and caring for them during the summer/fall. At the end of the warm season, I try to find homes for them. Or return them to the pet store. I'm not heartless, and I'd prefer that the fish don't end up in other fish's stomachs; but, after all, that would have been their fate had I not rescued them.

I have a neighbor who does winter their fish using a heater. That's not practical for us because we winter ourselves in a warmer clime, so it would be difficult to have the fish watched over. There are other reasons why it's difficult if not impractical. Remember, a Minnesota winter can get down to 30 degrees below zero (air temp). Also, our pond is more shallow than three feet.

Bill

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
And one other note: When I buy the feeder fish, they are just the right size for the relatively small pond, especially since there are two dozen of them. I'd just as soon not keep the fish as they get larger, even if that were practical.

Grinding both materials the pool and the boulder creating a troff Between them fill with epoxy is your best bet and or coat the entire boulder with a marine paint or even flex seal paint and or paste

I'm sure that's a good approach for some situations. However, the area to be patched is so small and the patch seems to be working, so creating a trough or coating the entire boulder in this case seems unnecessary. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

Bill

Ask a Question