Suggestions for pump hoses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My pumps have 1-1/2" fittings, and I originally set them up with some flexible pool-filter hose. Only problem was, it's blue. I found a roll of the 1-1/4" black hose (made for ponds) at one of the big-box hardware stores. It's a bit of effort with a heat gun to get the hose on the fittings, but the black is nearly invisible in the pond. Unfortunately, this hose is cheap. About every 3-4 months they'll spring a leak, and I have to replace the hose again. Today I used up the last of the original 25' roll (I only use about 3' on each pump), so I need suggestions for a better quality hose that is more rubber-based rather than plastic, so it will hold up to being moved around when I'm cleaning the pumps. It still needs to be rated for outdoor use and tolerate freezing, and I would prefer going back to the proper 1-1/2" hose so its not such a struggle to replace.

Any ideas? Ordering online is fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been using sump pump hose for 3 years now and same one and less than 10 dollars .I did buy some of the foam hose protector and even bought another hose for the 2 stock tanks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Shaom, just guessing, maybe the bend radius is too sharp which will stress the hose.

The splits have been on the top side, so perhaps as I pick up the pump out of the water, the hose is getting creased. I'm not sure. It usually happens up near where the hose attaches to the buried pipes, but a few inches back from the connector - not right at the connector (which would suggest I was pulling too hard on the hose). I ran the original pool hose for the first several months last year, while I was doing construction, so the pumps were moved constantly, but I never had any trouble with those hoses. Guess I'll keep searching.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I always use suction hose , from are local farm supply, it will always be there .
It is normally a light color, it could be wrapped with black tape

Ask a Question