Suggestions for UV Sterilizer

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Would like a recommendation for a UV (Brand) ,size light and pump size for a 2700 pond.

Oh, will the UV be detrimental to Microb-Lift (sp)?

Thank you...Sharon

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
I have used a Tetrapond 18 watt UV-2 clarifier for several years; it works exactly as advertised. For a 2700 gallon pond, you will want either the 18 watt UV-2 (max pond size 4,400 gallons, max flow 2,200 gph) or the 36 watt UV-3 (max pond size 8,800 gallons, max flow 4,400 gph).

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no...thats maximum flow.... mine is 9watts, i ran it for a few days, maybe a week or so to clear the water, and turned it off. it wont be needed the rest of season.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
You don't need a 4,400 gph pump just for the UV filter -- that is just the maximum flow the UV filter can handle. (In my set-up, I am running about 1,300 gallons per hour through the UV-2 filter even though it is rated to handle almost double that).

However, for a pond your size, I think you are going to end up with a pump in that range anyway. In addition to the UV that you choose, you need to consider whether you will be lifting water to a waterfall; the pipe length from pump to discharge point; and pipe dimension (bigger is better). If you want to get into the details of this, there are other discussions on this board on calculating "head height" - that is, estimating the affect of gravity and friction on the output of your pump.

For your pond, you will want to turn over from 1350 to 2700 gallons every hour. So you need a pump that will deliver that amount after calculating pipe length, height of waterfall, etc. As an example, this Pondmaster HyDrive 4000 will deliver 2,350 gph at 7 feet head-height; and 2700 gph at 5 feet head height. (The 3200 gph model would also work for your purposes.)
http://www.azponds.com/flowchart/PM_PRO_flowchart.jpg

Other good options might be a TetraPond DHP 3600 or DHP 4200; or the Laguna Max-Flo 4200. I found all of these models on AZPonds. Importantly, for a pond your size, I would not go with less than 1.5" pipe. All of these pumps mentioned have the option of 1.5" output.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't forget to consider dwell time when calculating pump size and uv lights.

Reaction score
Hello DoDad.

..sounds like important stuff but have no idea how to "consider dwell time"....I know what it is just don't know how to acquire and incorporate the information....could you help me out?

thanks....Sharon

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on UV for a pond. In 41 years of ponding I have never found a use for one and my pond is crystal clear.

Reaction score
Dr. Dave---Warning: LONG RESPONSE/REQUEST

I read your responses, look at you filter designs and really pay attention to what you say. And I do grasp your meaning with the 'no uv system'. However, I really do not know what to do.

2700-2800 gal Pond dug/filled with water - @ 8wk ago; plants put in 3 lg barrels/planters-- except for 3 water lilies, parrots feather (in small filter) and of course lettuce and hyacints.

Filtration: 100 gal Skippy filter; 1 30 Skippy filter; 1 1000 gal PondMaster.

Fish added 2 wk later -- 4 small

Dirt from my clumbsiness began clouding water...added 4 more fish and quilting batting....WATER CLEARED in 36 hr.

2 wk. ago 90 degree sunny day -- pond begins to turn green -- 3 sunny days later is PEA GREEN. Added new batting....NOTHING.

Now have 12 fish 4" - 6". I have made rings of hyacints and lettuce to try and block sun but still have @ 65 percent exposed. Biolift added last week.

Water parameters show normal even phosphate Except PH...as day heats up so does PH.....goes as high as card reads.

Have ordered hardness kit but in interim used strip...it reads the GH 30 and the KH 40....but then it also reads PH as 7.5 vs 9 with the kit.

Now DrDave...I am most concerned about the PH and really just don't know what to do. I find guidance for raising and stabilizing PH but not lowering and stabilizing it.

ANY guidance/suggestion is so appreciated...Sharon

Reaction score
Hi...thanks for checking in...actually, I stupidly posted 2x....on all the responses are on the 2nd posting.

thanks for taking the time to ask :>)! Sharon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:banghead3:
DrDave said:
Don't waste your money on UV for a pond. In 41 years of ponding I have never found a use for one and my pond is crystal clear.

Ask a Question