Suggestions for waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm new so not sure where to post this so if this is the wrong place I'm sorry…
G'morning!! I'm needing ideas on how to make my waterfall nicer. I'd like to add plants to it but not sure if I should place them directly into the fall or maybe put in a pot and then put in fall. It sits in the sun from around 11:30 am until sundown. Also I'm in zone 7. So whatever plants I use must be able to take the sun and heat. Maybe add stones around it. Not only do I want to make it more appealing but also as more filtration for my little pond. Any ideas?! THANK YOU!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could hide it by putting plants inside the waterfall .A creeping one and a tall one combined .Creeping jenny would work and lemon grass for the tall one and then you could put potted plants outside it with the soil that has the water beads in it .Or you can put the inside of a cheap baaby diaper in the pot as the stuff is the same .Holds water .I am sure others will know more plants .I know a lot of them have plants around there ponds .Phlox is a good draping plant also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you could hide it by putting plants inside the waterfall .A creeping one and a tall one combined .Creeping jenny would work and lemon grass for the tall one and then you could put potted plants outside it with the soil that has the water beads in it .Or you can put the inside of a cheap baaby diaper in the pot as the stuff is the same .Holds water .I am sure others will know more plants .I know a lot of them have plants around there ponds .Phlox is a good draping plant also
Lol. Never heard of using the insides of a baby diaper before. Thank you for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Would I put the creeping jenny in pots and add to fall or add something like pea gravel and plant in the fall? Same ? for the lemon grass Sissy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love the idea of plants in and around your water fall! I wonder if you should consider placing the plants in pots, inside the water fall? I know skippy filters just have pebbles and plants, but think pebbles might wash over the lip of your water fall, without some type of containment. Others, that have plants in their water falls, might have some better advice.

I love draping plants, elephant ears , cana lilies and grasses. I float baskets of begonias , parrots feather and water hyacinth on the surface of my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the idea of plants in and around your water fall! I wonder if you should consider placing the plants in pots, inside the water fall? I know skippy filters just have pebbles and plants, but think pebbles might wash over the lip of your water fall, without some type of containment. Others, that have plants in their water falls, might have some better advice.

I love draping plants, elephant ears , cana lilies and grasses. I float baskets of begonias , parrots feather and water hyacinth on the surface of my pond.
That's what I was thinking Tula. putting plants into pots and then adding to fall. I'm already having a little bit of an algae bloom starting. So adding gravel or something else that potentially may fall into the pond may incourage it even more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could put floaters (water hyacinth or water lettuce - I see you have some in your pond already!) in the top of your falls, but you may need to contain them until they get a good root system going. Some people string a piece of fishing line across the front of the falls to hold the plants in. Once they get growing and multiplying they form a mat of roots that will hold them in place and also help filter your water.

Potted plants around your falls will help to conceal things and look really pretty - any annuals that you normally grow in pots would work. That little area between your pond and the wall would be a perfect place to plant some things, too - creeping jenny would do great right there and will creep both ways - over the edge of the pond into the water and over the wall to help blend that edge. Impatiens are pretty, but they do need lots of water. I grow them right in my waterfall, but mine is big with lots of rocky crevices to tuck roots into. Hostas will grow right in your waterfall as well - I would pot one up and give it a try! I have some growing at the base of one of my falls - it's planted right in the gravel with no dirt at all and does great. They don't normally like the sun, but the constant flow of water keeps mine looking really good all summer.

The best way to figure out what works is to give it a try!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gravel and dirt don't cause algae - it's excess nutrients in your pond from your fish. And algae isn't always bad either because it IS removing the excess nutrients. More plants will help with that balance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A canna lily would grow great in a pot in the waterfall - I'm just having a little trouble with the scale. How big across is your falls at the widest point?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could put floaters (water hyacinth or water lettuce - I see you have some in your pond already!) in the top of your falls, but you may need to contain them until they get a good root system going. Some people string a piece of fishing line across the front of the falls to hold the plants in. Once they get growing and multiplying they form a mat of roots that will hold them in place and also help filter your water.

Potted plants around your falls will help to conceal things and look really pretty - any annuals that you normally grow in pots would work. That little area between your pond and the wall would be a perfect place to plant some things, too - creeping jenny would do great right there and will creep both ways - over the edge of the pond into the water and over the wall to help blend that edge. Impatiens are pretty, but they do need lots of water. I grow them right in my waterfall, but mine is big with lots of rocky crevices to tuck roots into. Hostas will grow right in your waterfall as well - I would pot one up and give it a try! I have some growing at the base of one of my falls - it's planted right in the gravel with no dirt at all and does great. They don't normally like the sun, but the constant flow of water keeps mine looking really good all summer.

The best way to figure out what works is to give it a try!
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I'm so excited to try them!! Do you have any pictures of your pond/fall posted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's the measurement of it…
Length is 33 inches (front to back)
Width is 25.5 inches
Depth is 7 inches.

Hope this helps. It's not very big. But, it's a starting point for something bigger hopefully!

Ask a Question