Suggestions for waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That does help. I really think your best bet would be floaters in your waterfall and then plants around it to help conceal the edges. You could add a small pot of dwarf cattails, a rush, sedge, or something similar to give it some height. I grown mini cattails in a pot in my patio pond every year - they are easy to grow and they look fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That does help. I really think your best bet would be floaters in your waterfall and then plants around it to help conceal the edges. You could add a small pot of dwarf cattails, a rush, sedge, or something similar to give it some height. I grown mini cattails in a pot in my patio pond every year - they are easy to grow and they look fun!
That's what I'll try. Is the floaters and go from there. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it so much. I looked at some of your fall and pond pictures. Absolutely beautiful. Hopefully someday when I grow up… I can have something as nice as yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Shrubs which are compact, fine foliage could butt up close to the waterfall tub, Hebe comes to mind. Perhaps also dense slow low growing conifer... Something to look nice even in Winter. Trim them to look like they grew to fit to the shape of the tub...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I'll try. Is the floaters and go from there. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it so much. I looked at some of your fall and pond pictures. Absolutely beautiful. Hopefully someday when I grow up… I can have something as nice as yours.

Thank you! You're very kind! Ponds are a wonderful hobby involving exercise, fresh air, sunshine, nature, relaxation, and serenity. You learn so much about the natural world and gain an appreciation for the fine balance between all forms of life on the planet right down to the tiny bacteria that really rule everything!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The stuff you buy in the stores to put in flower pots is the same stuff they put in the cheap diapers .I use this stuff for years in my hanging pots on my front porch and in my other pots and then all I have to do is water them once a week .I had a preformed and a plastic water fall and just built up around it with retaining wall block and plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The stuff you buy in the stores to put in flower pots is the same stuff they put in the cheap diapers .I use this stuff for years in my hanging pots on my front porch and in my other pots and then all I have to do is water them once a week .I had a preformed and a plastic water fall and just built up around it with retaining wall block and plants
Thank you Sissy! I'll get some and try it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is there any plants that should not go into the pond or waterfall that may harm the fish? I'm going to Lowes this weekend to see what I can find that can take the sun and heat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are lists of plants that should not go into the pond and I think addy or jw posted them on here and so did another ponder.I can't keep plants in my pond because aggie and bert destroy them and make a mess of the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Many of those lists you see are somewhat misleading. They include many plants that are commonly sold as pond plants - like canna lilies, lobelia, etc - and many of us plant in our ponds with no ill effect. Generally speaking, if they are selling it as a pond plant, it's safe for fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'd steer clear of water lettuce, that has sap which has raphides, that is like microscopic glass splinters to a fishes intestines. Besides which it can scorch in hot midday sun

Pond iris and hardy waterlily are a good combination of plants to help moderate hot sunny ponds in midday sun, the iris creates long shadows as the sun rises and sets while the waterlily shades waters when the sun goes overhead

These can make a diff between deadly high 90's waters, and pleasantly cosey mid 70's temps during the heat. You can probably find someone listing spares on craigslist

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But with iris can get out of control really fast and her pond is small .So there is a warning with them .I wonder if there is a mini iris or how about the mini cattails .I have them in my pond and fish seem to not touch them for some reason .They stay in a small clump but the tops get tall

Ask a Question