Suggestions on how to re-do my "turtle bog"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since there will be many of you who don't know about my "turtle bog," let me give a brief run-down. I have pet box turtles. Their habitat takes up, oh, about 1/4 of the backyard. A few years ago I built a small bog [maybe 6' x 3', 12" deep] within their habitat. Since I have males and a female, and I don't want babies, the habitat is divided, as is the bog -- this just explains the drawings.

The bog is the watering hole, and is 100% for the turtles, to give them a source of clean, filtered water. The plants are 1) for some pond filtration, and 2) to give the turtles natural cover and shade. The bog is about 3 or 4 years old and requires some maintenance, as do most bogs. Recently, though, there's been an issue with "crud" collecting in the gravel and flowing to the pond causing the pond [in general] to have dirty water. Apparently my backflushes [and use of the Pondovac to suck out around the gravel] haven't done a lot of good, and is catching up after these 3-4 years.

I have a Skippy as primary filtration. And my water parameters are always good, so both are doing well to take care of the chemical filtration.

A few problems that I see......might be......
  1. I'm running water to the bog too fast which is putting too much crud through that system -- I need to regulate the flow
  2. This particular bog isn't designed for the size of my pond [3000 with somewhere between 30-50 goldfish] as far as mechanical filtration goes -- the bog wasn't intended to act as a mechanical filter, but it does what it does.....
  3. Not sure that how I have the gravel arranged around the water is the best design [see pics] for optimal results -- and this is where I would like some advice from you guys

This is a not-to-scale [obviously] drawing of the relationship between the pond and the turtle bog. The green is the bog. It's a continuous bog, separated by a fence to keep the turtles apart.
IMG_9982.JPG

The first drawing shows how the water distribution piping is set up [under the gravel]. The 2nd drawing is how I have it designed, with the gravel and plants around the perimeter, and a depression in the middle for the turtles. Again, the fence doesn't separate the bog itself, just the habitat. The next 2 drawings are just different ways I can rearrange things. So, long story short, between Scenario A and Scenario B, which do you think would make for a more efficient bog set up?
IMG_9981.JPG

And just because I know someone will ask, I'll look for some pics of my "weir" set-up. It's made with drainage grates and connects to 4" PVC. Basically, it's like a culvert that empties into the pond. I'll look for pics.

Found something!
IMG_9988.JPG

@addy1

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Before you do anything else, you need to provide mechanical filtration. Adjusting the flow rate is not going to stop the organic debris from accumulating in the 'bog'. A 'bog', just like any other biofilter should never double as a mechanical filter. Very,very inefficient and high maintenance.
Other than that, I would say that any of the designs will work. Just a matter of personal preference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What lucky turtles it is great seeing someone house them right. I have many wild ones in natural pond at country house, I just wish they where not so shy.

Ask a Question