Suggestions: [toys] to entertain a "bored" goldfish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One goldfish in a 20gal tank. Not a lot to do but swim around and get all excited with anticipation whenever I walk by -- hoping for food [sorry, not this time, little buddy].

Any suggestions for fish "toys" or something that's fish-safe that I can add to the tank for some stimulation? Maybe a short section of wide PVC pipe for a cave to explore; or something to dangle in the water that he can poke at?

And NO, NOT a GF basketball court, so please don't suggest that, LOL!:ROFLMAO:

I mean, poor thing has got to be bored. Oh, and he's in the tank alone because he seems to be somewhat visually impaired [by my observations] and wasn't thriving with other fish to compete with in the pond -- so adding a companion isn't an option [I'd already thought of that, plus, I'd need a larger tank, which is also not an option].

@bettasngoldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your best bet would be to make an interesting environment for them to explore - I like your PVC pipe idea, and you could also put some rocks in. Pet shops often have a good selection of ornaments and plants too :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can try a wiffle ball, he may or may not play with it. They sell little mirrors for betta tanks that you can stick to the outside of the tank. Might interest Larry to put one on the side or front of his tank.

You could also try getting some live plants that they like to nibble on. Something like anacharis works well and can be left floating in the tank.

You could also try marimo moss balls (live or fake) the live ones are pretty hardy. They can handle low light conditions but should be rinsed and squeezed out occasionally or they tend to fall apart. They will float right after being squeezed out but will end up on the bottom of the tank in a little while.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Be careful of anything that they swim through, very important to make sure its big enough that he won't t get stuck in it.

You could also get live ghost shrimp for him to search for and eat. Or even a fake plastic fish as a buddy for him.
How about a short section of 4" PVC? I bought a short fitting, 22 degree angle, so the edges are smooth. Not in the tank yet [doing things outside today]. And I'm glad you mentioned the ghost shrimp, and I think I have a solution of my own: scuds! Those little guys that eat gunk in the filter! A few years ago a collected and grew them as fish treats. They will settle down to the bottom of the tank and "Larry" can peck around for them.

Put some creeping jenny in the tank..
Not sure it will grow in the tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can try the pipe although he may ignore it.

Scuds will work.

A couple other foods that may help entertain him would be broccoli florets and a thin slice of orange left floating in the tank for him to pick
at (some of my goldfish love oranges while others ignore it)

Ask a Question