Summer here and gone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hey pond dwellers! Been gone a while. Very very busy summer! Hope all is well with you. Shutting down the pond tomorrow! Should be fun moving plants and critters into their winter home. Much to tell but I have to get to the job. I’ll post more later but I wanted to drop in and say hi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi! we are still running AC!

Have fun catching and moving them!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's such a pretty pond. Too bad there is winter,lol! Hope all goes well w/the move!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Pond temp 58 right now and was going to hold out a few more weeks but, I cant catch the fish LOL. I will cut plants and shut down most this weekend too. I worry without plants and circulation how long fish can last if weather does not get cold say for another month ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jack B. Nimble You would be better off w/all the plants out first, then lower the water level if you have to and try and catch fish. The less water the easier to catch them. Can't you leave the circulation going till you get the fish out? If not just add some fresh water each day w/a hose for circulation. Don't forget chlorine remover if your water has it in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
@Jack B. Nimble You would be better off w/all the plants out first, then lower the water level if you have to and try and catch fish. The less water the easier to catch them. Can't you leave the circulation going till you get the fish out? If not just add some fresh water each day w/a hose for circulation. Don't forget chlorine remover if your water has it in it.
Thanks and I was pondering lowering water level. Because I have so many hiding spots I created I am going to try a round up. I will lay landscape fabric in a circle covering the edge on one side of pond and herd them in and hopefully able to set them. Broke down a bought another aquarium so I now I can watch most of them all winter. Will be fun taking parts of the pond into a planted tank and the moss too. Plan to even use the pea gravel from bog and I will pipe bottom of the tank same manner as the bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey pond dwellers! Been gone a while. Very very busy summer! Hope all is well with you. Shutting down the pond tomorrow! Should be fun moving plants and critters into their winter home. Much to tell but I have to get to the job. I’ll post more later but I wanted to drop in and say hi.
Welcome back Sparky! I love the chairs; they are the best seats ‘in the house!’ Are you ready to overwinter the floaters? I recall you set up something for that.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Whoooo! That was a lot of work. Plants first. Dropped the water to about eight inches. No luck at first but used the ol’ Mush pile upstairs and came up with a corral. Piece of cake after that. Washing down everything, composting and still need to build a top for winter. This is the kids now living in the fish room. They’re pretty wigged out right now but ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Looks great! I'm jealous ;) wish I had space in my house to set up a big stock tank.
Which brings us into this summer and how crazy it got. The tank is actually in the garage in the NEW fishroom. Tanks in the house we’re getting out of hand. Really cool and stuff if you don’t mind the house smelling like South America. I don’t really have a real basement due to ledgerock. So momma agreed I should move operations to the garage. Walled off 1/3 of it and slowly but surely getting things online. Bringing in new power and insulating still. Big job to tackle on evenings and weekends but making solid progress. Breeders are running, pond is running and cold is coming so yeah......heat is next. Gets a little chilly up here. Sleep is for fools. “Fishkeeping. Keeping insomnia alive and well.”.
Peace pond people!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yay @Sparky you did it and it looks great! Now you can rest easy seeing them living in a nice cozy spot in the garage. Will keep you busy all winter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
From where I sit in my little happy place.
7AE7C6F9-609D-45ED-96E8-C33F1B0F7D81.jpeg

Ask a Question