Summer in the Native Garden

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was another fantastic summer for my native garden... mostly. I've been dealing with phytoplasma issues with a few species, so I've had to remove those few species entirely from my garden and I'm monitoring others. Otherwise, it was a good year. I had a blast watching the wildlife it attracted. Monarchs were arriving in larger numbers than I've seen since I started my garden.

IMG_0025 copy.jpg

IMG_2588 copy.jpg

Bees seemed to have a good year as well. Here's a bee that happened to fly into the shot as I was taking a photo of my Bush's Coneflower.
IMG_0047 copy.jpg

Great Golden Digger wasps were everywhere in July. They clearly love the nectar that butterflyweed produces, as it's the only specie I ever saw them on.
IMG_0717 copy.jpg

Last year, I started moving some of the Common Blue Violets in my lawn over to my native garden in hopes of attracting fritillary butterflies. It worked! I found this Variegated fritillary caterpillar on a violet in my garden.
IMG_0862 copy.jpg

Of course, Monarch caterpillars were a common sight all summer long, also in greater numbers than previous years.
IMG_2196 copy.jpg

I saw a few Hummingbird moths this year. There were two in the garden as I was taking this photo. Couldn't quite get them both in the photo. :)
IMG_1118 copy.jpg

My Scarlet Bee Balm put on a nice show this year. I'm thrilled that I added it last year.
IMG_0526 copy.jpg

It was highly attractive to Ruby-throated hummingbirds, which was the entire reason for adding it. I saw them flying in and out of the garden quite often during the summer. They also liked the Blue Giant Hyssop you can see in the background.
IMG_1427 copy.jpg

IMG_1466 copy.jpg

Red Admiral and Monarch.
IMG_1158 copy.jpg

Spring Azure butterflies
IMG_1286 copy.jpg

American Copper
IMG_1756 copy.jpg

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly
IMG_1775 copy.jpg

Question Mark butterfly
IMG_5465 copy.jpg

Autumn Meadowhawk
IMG_4878 copy.jpg

Lastly, this was the first year I added grasses to my garden. It's something I've been avoiding but I knew it was time. Grasses and sedges are an important part of any prairie and it's time I get my garden closer to natural prairie.

I added one Little bluestem and one Side oats grama. Side oats grama looked fantastic this summer, and Little bluestem in autumn. I was able to collect some SOG seeds this fall, so I hope to grow more next season.
IMG_0851 copy.jpg

IMG_7873 copy.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lovely pictures. That dragon fly is just beautiful, my fingers are crossed that they will start breeding in my pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks so beautiful and gives me hope that another Summer will be here soon...............well only a half a year away anyways! I miss all the butterflies, dragon flies etc. Thanks for sharing and giving us a glimpse of what's to come again!

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question