Summer Water Temperatures

Reaction score
With summer here water temperatures are on the rise. This June is one of the hottest since 1953 here in the Southeast. My shaded pond is now at 79 degrees. What are the higest summertime water temperatures some of you that keep Koi have had to contend with? Thanks for your replys

Reaction score
I agree, this month has been hotter than usual for sure!

I've had waters in the high 90's in July and August.

Here is where 20-25% water changes pay of EVERY WEEK (even 2x per week) in the summer. It helps quell high water temps and the heavier waste that fish produce this time of year. Also, good aeration in hot temps with a solid air pump is very helpful as well--as hot water gets more easily depleted of oxygen.

Koi and goldfish are surprisingly sturdy critters that can tolerate cold and hot. As long as that temp change doesn't happen quickly. They adapt to cold for long periods and heat for long periods as long as it's not crazy fluctuations.

Reaction score
Thanks Koikeeper & DrDave for your input. When I raised Discus water changes & water quality were crucial and that has become a habit with me. I also placed a Coolaroo shade sail over the pond to keep the intense direct sun from heating the water even further.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My pond is 84 this morning we need a break from the heat

Reaction score
I actually checked the tempature of my pond just yesterday. It was a blazed 92 degrees. I went out to feed last night and the fish didn't even come to the surface. I guess the water is cooler at the bottom.

Reaction score
Thank You 3qtkidz,

Again I do believe that if it wasn't for the Shade Sail my water temperature would be 10-15 degrees warmer.

Reaction score
stroppy said:
ohhh lucky you lot in the us ..here in the uk water has been hovering at 55 has gone up to 60 today as at last we are having a warmer spell !!! :0)

LOL! As much as I've loved my visits to the UK Stroppy, I don't know how you guys deal with that constant wet and chilly weather. I need sun and warmth...

Reaction score
Country
United States
With summer here water temperatures are on the rise. This June is one of the hottest since 1953 here in the Southeast. My shaded pond is now at 79 degrees. What are the higest summertime water temperatures some of you that keep Koi have had to contend with? Thanks for your replys

Ask a Question