Summer's End

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
going through my more recent pics, came across this one from Oct 3; sort of puts my mood into a visual! Summer's End...

211003 - frog summer's end.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And they smell heavenly, too! Not reliable for overwintering outdoors here, so right after a frost I yank a bunch of them out & keep them semi-dormant in our cool storage room. That way I know I'll have some for the next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yeah, just read up on them as I wanted to sneak one into my yard next year but at 8', they may be a problem (running out of available space!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They're very narrow but tall stalks, so they don't take up a whole lot of real estate. Mine in the pond usually top out at about 4' high. I do have some that we tossed into the compost pile which actually overwintered last year. Those ones are taller - about 6' I'd guess. Let me know in the Spring if you want some. I usually have more overwintered tubers than I have space to plant them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, next Spring when I'm dividing the overwintered tubers & wondering what to do with the excess, I'll be posting on here and, if anyone throws their hands in the air & jumps up & down at that time, I will happily send off some butterfly ginger to spread the happiness.

A very dear friend of mine, who has since passed from breast cancer, gave me the original plants that I started with several years ago. I consider it a tribute to a wonderful woman to keep 'her' plant going & spreading to where ever it's wanted.

Ask a Question