Sunny CA says Hi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Hello to all,

New to forum and excited to start my first pond in about two weeks. Joined to learn as much as I can and hopefully you all won't mind a lot of questions from the new guy! I live in northern CA near Sacramento and hope to start construction ASAP but want to be well informed and ready before a shovel hits the ground. Going for a natural looking pond with plants and Koi.

Regards,
Matt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Matt one question I know there is drought in CA so how are you planning on getting around this first off ?
Next you'll need a pond between 4-5ft deep and most koi keepers will tell you plants in a pond with koi just dont mix
However weve been koi keepers now for 27 years and are more than willing to help as are others so fire away ? (y)

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! you come to the right place :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and do you have a budget and ideas on the size and what you really want .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Thank you all for the welcome. I removed a large area of sod and a tree we were having issues with, giving me a space for a pond and a small deck (which I hope to extend a little over the ponds edge). I am still tweaking plans but right now i'm looking at about an 8x12x4deep pond.

As a family we want a more natural looking pond with stones and a small creek/waterfall. I plan on having a few shelves in the pond for plants and also accenting all around with other plants/bushes etc.

Some of the other forums are dead set on a bottom drain for ponds with Koi, and while I realize that may be a "must" for some, I have visited a friends pond who does not have a bottom drain and does annual clean outs-its beautiful and has large healthy Koi.

Planning on having a skimmer which returns to a sand and gravel filter which will also be the return for the creek/waterfall. Also want to add a UV and some sort of airstone in the pond for added filtration. Really excited about all the different plants as well and I realize the Koi may mess with some but thats ok. Would like to keep cost down but havnt priced everything yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome. My pond sounds a little similar to what you want. I do not have bottom drains but do use a pool vac. Mine is smaller around 3500 gallons. You can see it in my showcase

Ask a Question