Sunroom help

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi all, I have this sunroom that I never use. The couch is too big and the space is kind of awkward. I am thinking of turning it into a greenhouse of sorts with maybe a comfy chair or wicker loveseat. You guys are all so creative so I thought I'd ask for opinions or suggestions for this room.
2017-06-30 06.53.28.jpg
2017-06-30 06.53.31.jpg
2017-06-30 06.53.38.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My first concern with greenhouses/sunrooms is humidity, but that's because in colder weather condensation is a problem.
In your climate, I think your concern would be watching for plant pests and whether or not to open the screens to allow beneficial predators inside to control plant pests.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My first concern with greenhouses/sunrooms is humidity, but that's because in colder weather condensation is a problem.
In your climate, I think your concern would be watching for plant pests and whether or not to open the screens to allow beneficial predators inside to control plant pests.
Hmm I hadn't even considered pests. We keep the door open during the day and close it at night. Everywhere here is humid so I hadn't thought about that either. I guess I need to do some homework on greenhouses and what works in this area.

Great room you can do a lot with !!!!!!! Is it heated ?
And it sure is in the summer! Lol
No heat. It has a fan for the heat during summer and I had considered getting one of those faux fireplace heaters for the winter if I decide to keep it as a sitting room.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My first thought was the same as Mitch's...humidity. One thing you would want to do is remove or properly seal anything that could rot or hold molds or mildews.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess I just thought a greenhouse was a house for green things and not something that would need to be sealed or anything. The room is one of those prefab additions with the plastic walls but it does share a wall with the living room so I wouldn't want to seal the room up. *sigh I guess I will just look at bringing plants in and leaving it as is.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok I just did some reading. It should function like a greenhouse at least in the winter. I think what I'm going to do is just leave it as a sunroom but add a ton of plants and see what happens. They should overwinter fine in the room as it does stay much warmer during the winter, I actually bring my ti plants into it during the winter now.
And Lowes has a sale of pots and wicker furniture going on right now... Uh oh....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ok I just did some reading. It should function like a greenhouse at least in the winter. I think what I'm going to do is just leave it as a sunroom but add a ton of plants and see what happens. They should overwinter fine in the room as it does stay much warmer during the winter, I actually bring my ti plants into it during the winter now.
And Lowes has a sale of pots and wicker furniture going on right now... Uh oh....

That's exactly what I'd do. Get yourself a nice indoor - outdoor rug, comfy patio furniture, pretty pots of plants, candles, twinkly lights.........:)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love the twinkly lights idea!! I am going to see if I can find a comfy slipcover for the existing couch. It's in great shape just the fabric is a little uncomfortable. Add a rug and then fill with plants and maybe a small fridge!!
Great idea Tula!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I had a sunroom what a bonus that would be for my plants come winter .check out local goodwills .3 of them here have 3 piece wicker sets for 40 to 50 dollars for 3 pieces

Ask a Question