Super cloudy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My water has become super cloudy. Could this be due to spawning? There is a lot of clay in my water due to flooding rains a couple of weeks ago. I can’t think of anything else other than a lot of wind lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Spawning can stir things up a bit (both fish & amphibians!) Wind can blow in dust, debris & pollen that can make things cloudy. My water is quite dark right now because of all the Oak pollen. I'm hoping for some good rains to give me a nice water change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If rain water can get in your pond from run off you need to stop that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If rain water can get in your pond from run off you need to stop that.
Oh boy! That would be quite an undertaking considering that this pond is at the bottom of a huge bowl....I bought this house ten months ago and should have known that when the owner said “this is a wildlife pond...not an aquarium” that there were probably issues...he also had it loaded with dark blue dye...but being a greenhorn I just figured that since the pond was 35 years old and the fish were all healthy looking and the water testing was perfect then there was nothing to worry about...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I went and looked at your pond pictures you posted in another thread. I see what you need to do to keep the water from running off your grass and into your pond. A lot of moving of rocks to it tho. You would have to move the rocks around the edge off the liner and hope you have extra liner under there so you could take dirt and shove and mound it all the way around under the liner edge to make your pond edge higher than where the water comes in. Oh boy lots of work unless someone else has another idea. Maybe some kind of trench around the whole pond filled w/gravel? I don't know for sure on this deal all I know is the water needs to be diverted from your pond or you will have the cloudy water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I went and looked at your pond pictures you posted in another thread. I see what you need to do to keep the water from running off your grass and into your pond. A lot of moving of rocks to it tho. You would have to move the rocks around the edge off the liner and hope you have extra liner under there so you could take dirt and shove and mound it all the way around under the liner edge to make your pond edge higher than where the water comes in. Oh boy lots of work unless someone else has another idea. Maybe some kind of trench around the whole pond filled w/gravel? I don't know for sure on this deal all I know is the water needs to be diverted from your pond or you will have the cloudy water.
Thank you for taking the time to figure this out. I just spent oodles having the waterfalls and skimmers put in, not to mention a new septic system and new heat pump so this will have to be put on the back burner for awhile. I guess I will have to accept it for what it is for now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And it could be that the cloudiness will settle down as the rains diminish and you did just put in a waterfall that could be stirring things up also. So just enjoy it now and hope it settles and if it starts clouding up again w/the rains then just take care of it later when you have time. You can do it a little at a time also. Move a few rocks take a peek under there and see what it looks like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
And it could be that the cloudiness will settle down as the rains diminish and you did just put in a waterfall that could be stirring things up also. So just enjoy it now and hope it settles and if it starts clouding up again w/the rains then just take care of it later when you have time. You can do it a little at a time also. Move a few rocks take a peek under there and see what it looks like.
thank you for the advice

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Between rain, runoff and repotting your lilies, not surprised by cloudy water. Definitely need to raise sides of pond to prevent runoff getting in and maybe set up a fines filter with quilt batting to remove particles.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Between rain, runoff and repotting your lilies, not surprised by cloudy water. Definitely need to raise sides of pond to prevent runoff getting in and maybe set up a fines filter with quilt batting to remove particles.
Thank you for the advice

Ask a Question