Surface shade ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have started planning for spring and one of the major things my water garden was missing last year was the the garden part. Especially surface shade and places for my fishy’s to swim through and under. I had a few water hyacinth last year, but I’m looking for something hardy that will do better in cooler weather we have in spring and late fall. So my question is weather there are any hardy water lilies that will grow in 15 to 20 inches of water or is that to shallow. If so which are your favorites. If not do you have any other suggestions for creating shade preferably using plants.
Thank you for helping

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
several types of duck weed will fit that bill . Water cress will hide alot of the edges of the pond real real quick and every hard water lilly will grow in 18" of water that i know of. many here plant them in kitty litter with not scents or additives. add a fertilizer tab too and bloom bloom bloom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay thanks I’ll try and grab some water cress at whole foods this spring and I’ll definitely find a nice lily to add also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
realize water lilies are not as good at filtering the water column as your floaters (w hyacinth, w lettuce, parrot's feather). And if you have fish, they'll eat the duckweed like it's candy. I have to grow some separately as nothing ever gets established in the pond proper. Too, duckweed will fade in cool weather just like your w hyacinths. Best to take a seasonal approach to shade, imo, if you want plants. And I'm in no way saying w lilies are not good for that (I have 12 or so), just getting you to see the floaters are massively better at keeping your water clear and the floating algae to a minimum and that you should incorporate them regularly.

Ask a Question