Surprise and disappointment at the same time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been digging my new shubunkin pond for 2 months, and just finished. I had ordered a 12x15 EPDM liner. I planned to make a 500 gal. pond. I took lots of measurements. Today I opened the liner up, put it into the huge hole and found out that they sent me a 15x20 liner. I could have made the pond so much bigger. I filled the pond and find that it is only 300 gal. I am not able to dig anymore, and redo it all. I am digging in hard black clay that was once the bottom of swampland. So, I will tuck all the extra liner under rocks, won't cut it. And my 15 goldfish should do fine in 300 gal. with a nice waterfall. I wlll post a pic of it all soon.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OPPS! Sorry to hear this. I'm sure your 2nd pond will be as large as you plan.

graphics-wink-788472.gif

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good thinking folding the liner under. Now you can go back later and dig some more and enlarge the pond without buying new liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe time to find some young strong men/teens to earn their pizza and beer, methinks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everybody, I guess I will see how I like it, all finished. Then next year I can redo it if necessary. Glad I read the recent thread about not cutting the liner, otherwise I would have just cut off all the extra. Now I won't. I think I need to get more rocks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Always save your liner, it comes in handy quite often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm..... For my last pond my wife never figured out how the pond kept getting bigger. It wasn't growing on it's own!! It was the old hidden liner trick! Just fold it over. Put down some pea gravel and mulch on top of it and maybe a rock or two and no one knows it's there. I never minded expanding the planting shelves where i used excess liner to expand them, because it increased the surface area of the pond which is just as important as adding more volume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm..... For my last pond my wife never figured out how the pond kept getting bigger. It wasn't growing on it's own!! It was the old hidden liner trick! Just fold it over. Put down some pea gravel and mulch on top of it and maybe a rock or two and no one knows it's there. I never minded expanding the planting shelves where i used excess liner to expand them, because it increased the surface area of the pond which is just as important as adding more volume.

What a wonderful idea, thanks so much! That is what I will do, just make wider planting shelves and use up more of the liner!

Ask a Question