Surprise--koi fry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I got home from work today and my husband announced to me that he spotted baby fish in the pond. Sure enough, there are at least 3-4 in there, possibly more as the water is kind of murky right now and I couldn't get a good look with only a little daylight left. The fry are maybe 2-3" from what I can see.

I am completely new to koi fry as this is our first year with our pond--I didn't expect to come home today and be a koi grandma. :p Any advice?? Do the babies need different food to eat?

If nothing else, this confirms that we have an adult male and adult female in our pond. We had 2 koi left after the third big one died this winter and we were wondering if the remaining two were boys or girls or one of each.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At that size they can eat what the parents get. I have 100+ babies from3/4"- 4". You will probably find out you have a lot more than you think. I was sure I had removed all the babies from the main pond as I hadn't seen any in weeks, nope! Still a lot of small dark babies hanging out with mom & dads! Congrats!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If they are 3" already you are treating them special !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I guess we must be doing something right! For those babies to go this long without us even noticing, we must have good conditions for them in the pond (good water quality, enough algae for them to nibble on, etc.)

We shut off the waterfalls for a couple minutes today so we could get a better count of the babies--we counted 10. It's still too hard to get a good photo of them as they move VERY fast! They will try to nibble at the pellets but I don't think they're having much success. I will probably smush down some pellets for them so they're more manageable.

Ask a Question