Surprise - more baby fish!

Reaction score
I saw a strange looking baby fish in my pond a couple days ago, definitely not a goldfish, and then 3 of them swimming together yesterday. I'd gotten a couple young koi from a fellow ponder and when he netted them he came up with ONE mosquito fish so I got a freebie. When I saw the fry, I was thoroughly perplexed until I researched mosquito fish and read that they are live bearers - my freebie must be a momma!! Hoping I don't wind up with 100s of them too quickly. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rbritt said:
I saw a strange looking baby fish in my pond a couple days ago, definitely not a goldfish, and then 3 of them swimming together yesterday. I'd gotten a couple young koi from a fellow ponder and when he netted them he came up with ONE mosquito fish so I got a freebie. When I saw the fry, I was thoroughly perplexed until I researched mosquito fish and read that they are live bearers - my freebie must be a momma!! Hoping I don't wind up with 100s of them too quickly. ;)

I had mosquito fish in my arizona pond, need to find out if they could survive here. Since you are colder than me, and you got them from someone there, sounds like they could handle the cold.
They are great bug eaters. Breed like little rabbits, but never seemed to cause problems with water quality.

Reaction score
The guy I got them from said he just started his pond this year too. I just looked up some info on mosquito fish and I don't think they'll survive the NJ winter. :regular_waving_emot

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn oh well Thanks for the info.
Maybe they are just little fish native to the area.

Ask a Question