Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bear with me.....

We've been having intermittent storms the past few days -- in fact, yesterday, our power was out for a couple of hours.

Today was one of those days where it was bright and sunny one minute [Oh, boy, I can go outside and work!], and hurricane-like conditions the next minute. Then repeat this cycle throughout the day....

During one of the sunny moments, I was outside when the weather suddenly changed. Hubby was hollering for me to get inside, like NOW! Just as the rain & wind hit, I noticed a "floater" in the pond :( All I could do was scoop the fish out, dodge the lightening, and dash for the house. So I tossed the fish -- it landed in the turtle habitat. All I had time for was notice a little odor (not a fresh death), and note that it was one of my yearlings from last year's spawn (it was still in it's "olive" stage).

An hour or so later, the sun came out, so I decided to grab the fish and examine it. Well, guess what I found? Alphie (girl boxie) had found the dead fish and was BIG TIME chowing down......!! And I mean, she must have thought she was in heaven by the look on her face! "Mommy, why don't you feed me this stuff more often....?"

image.jpg

So needless to say, I didn't get to examine the fish -- and now there's absolutely nothing left of it. Carrion makes up a natural part of the boxie's diet in the wild, so I wasn't really concerned about her consuming it. Hmmm, maybe I see another use for the "feeder fish."

The weather suddently turned bad again, and I didn't have a chance to do a water test. Will do that tomorrow. Hopefully there is no problem with the water, but I do wonder if the power outtage the day before was a contributing factor......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FYI, I think I was more amazed at the gusto with which the fish was consumed -- more so than with the loss of the fish. Alphie had to have smelled it in order to find it so quickly. Not that I'm not concerned about the fish, but.....

Reaction score
I've been offered a local turtle. I'm not sure how the person got this baby turtle, but now she doesn't want it any more, I told her she should put it in a natural pond where other turtles are. She says she's worried that because she's been feeding it, it won't survive.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What does Alphie's normal diet consist of?
I feed them (I have 7) a mixture and combination of commercial box turtle food (pelleted), fresh veggies (bell pepper, kale, carrots, green beans, squash, corn-on-the-cob, tomatoes.....just whatever, and I vary the combos), some fruits (mostly apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries.....), earth worms, grubs, meal worms..... They have a lot of "forage" in their habitat(s), plus I'll throw out veggie scraps. There are tons of pill bugs that they forage on, as well. I also add powdered reptile vitamins/minerals to thier foods weekly.

I try to give them a variey of foods, but even so, I'm sure their diet isn't as good for them :( as they would be getting in the wild.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been offered a local turtle. I'm not sure how the person got this baby turtle, but now she doesn't want it any more, I told her she should put it in a natural pond where other turtles are. She says she's worried that because she's been feeding it, it won't survive.

Any thoughts on what to do?

@Priscilla -- is there a local wildlife & fisheries department there? You might want to consult with them on this specific turtle. I think it would depend a lot on how long the baby turtle has been in captivity [as well as what kind of turtle it is]. In cases where a turtle [at least with boxies] has been in captivity a while [how long? -- I have no idea how to define that....], they will lose their natural defenses against disease. This would weaken them, and baby turtles are especially at risk.

Another thing to consider is that turtles in captivity lose a lot of their "stranger fear" -- they have bonded with humans and this can make them vulnerable to attack or capture. Shoot, my babies will come out and follow me around when they hear my voice!

If it were me, I wouldn't turn it loose -- I would hand it over to a rehab facility. One of the things they can do is slowly re-introduce it to a more natural environment, and then release it if that is appropriate.

@fishin4cars Larkin, do you have anything to add?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
FYI, I think I was more amazed at the gusto with which the fish was consumed -- more so than with the loss of the fish. Alphie had to have smelled it in order to find it so quickly. Not that I'm not concerned about the fish, but.....
We used to feed ourRed eared sliders the odd dead mouse that the cats had brought home , they ate them with gusto Maggie:happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Priscilla -- is there a local wildlife & fisheries department there? You might want to consult with them on this specific turtle. I think it would depend a lot on how long the baby turtle has been in captivity [as well as what kind of turtle it is]. In cases where a turtle [at least with boxies] has been in captivity a while [how long? -- I have no idea how to define that....], they will lose their natural defenses against disease. This would weaken them, and baby turtles are especially at risk.

Another thing to consider is that turtles in captivity lose a lot of their "stranger fear" -- they have bonded with humans and this can make them vulnerable to attack or capture. Shoot, my babies will come out and follow me around when they hear my voice!

If it were me, I wouldn't turn it loose -- I would hand it over to a rehab facility. One of the things they can do is slowly re-introduce it to a more natural environment, and then release it if that is appropriate.

@fishin4cars Larkin, do you have anything to add?

There's no dept that can rehab the turtle like that here.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I am going to pass on the turtle. I just can't take it on right now.

Ask a Question