Swamp Milkweed -- are they setting blooms?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been waiting and waiting for my swamp milkweed plants to bloom. All they've done so far is get taller and some have fallen over. But the other day I noticed something different in that they seemed to be "branching." That's the only way I can describe it. Are these "branches" the beginnings of blossoms? This is the first time I've seen them do this before.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmm... not sure. Mine bloomed a week or so ago, but I wasn't paying attention to what they looked like when they were just blossomed. Sorry! Looks like a healthy plant, though! And mine have the tipping over syndrome, too. I keep encouraging good posture, but we want to slump!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Branching is a good thing, because the more branches there are, the more flower clusters there will be, but I don't know if it's an indicator that flowers are forming. Still, I would keep an eye out. The plant is a good size, and you may see flower clusters forming in the next few weeks.

I can't remember if I showed you this image before or not, but this is what the cluster looked like on the top of the stem when I first noticed it on my Orange Milkweed. Swamp Milkweed will probably look very similar.

IMG_0171 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Mine are pathetic...only about two inches tall :-( Hoping for better results next year.

Ask a Question