Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey y'all,

So, I'm going to hopefully be selling some koi at a swap meet next Sunday, the 11th. I was wondering if anyone had advise in how to transport my fish to the meet, and how my customers will transport the fish home?

If I need to go shopping, I would like to know soon because today is the best time for me to go to the city.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What size? most put them in tubs, you don't want them jumping or get hurt. For people to get them home they would need containers, bags, water, you may need to take enough pond water so you can share it with anyone that does pick one up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could buy some of those cheap Styrofoam coolers and just sell them w/fish included. Just put some holes in the lids. I've heard you can buy some kind of oxygen tablets to put in the water also. If they have electrical connections there you could use an air pump and divide lines to each cooler while waiting to sell the fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How did you do there on Sunday Zman? Sounds like not so good eh? And what did you do to keep your fish oxygenated?

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
To keep the fish aerated, I have a power converter and used it and an extension cord that ran to the back of my truck bed. There, I plugged in two-hose aerator and ran it to the two coolers I had fish in.

It didn't go well. I sold two butterfly koi to the owner of the place. She said that the two vendors selling fish the day before sold out. It was dead on Sunday. Saturday is where it's at. Oh well. next time.

One thing that really made me angry was this guy would wanted to buy all 30 of my fish for $50. He kefpt insulting the fish and wouldn't leave it be.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like he was trying to take advantage of you. I mean why did he want them if they were so horrible to him. Sounds like a jerk to me. Hope you get to go on a Saturday next time and sell lots of them! Now you have it down pat how to keep the fish safe and alive so it will be a cinch for ya. Best of luck to ya!

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks. Unfortunately, the next Swap Meet is in June. I don't know of any others in the area either. I don't think I can auction them off at organized animal auctions either. Maybe Craigslist?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I think Craigslist is your best bet and you don't have to transport..........unless of course they would like you to but I would be careful about that idea to be safe.......unless you take some peeps w/ ya and the buyers pay for your gas.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I sold and gave away baby pools full of goldies and koi on craigslist...until this year..got rid of all goldies!! koi only now.. and i didnt have time to prepare for spawning as they started spawning the very night they went outside....makes me wonder if i left them in the basement pond alittle longer if they would have spawned there. jameskoi's did.

Ask a Question