Swim bladder disorder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think my ranchu goldfish may have swim bladder disorder can someone plz tell me if this is the case or if something else is going on

She is floating on her side and is breathing and looks bloated

She does usually take huge gulps when eating so I’m just guessing that she’s ingested too much air and it’s trapped

I have put her in a separate bucket away from the other fish just in case it is not swim bladder but something fatal and contagious

Earlier on today she pooped out this whitey pink gel worm like thing (it was not alive just the shape of worm)
Can someone plz help me identify what is wrong with my fish and maybe some suggestions on how to treat it

Attachments

• FA7F90CA-7880-45CD-9B06-0B96A66DA45B.jpeg
    FA7F90CA-7880-45CD-9B06-0B96A66DA45B.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry I know knotting of that one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So classically it means the fish cannot pass its poop hence the problem with the bladder. Constipation can be from an infection or GI problems with the change of temperature, or the food content.

Try changing to gel and soft food like blood worms for a while. Not feeding for a while may help too cause they will just eat algae which will help move bowels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So classically it means the fish cannot pass its poop hence the problem with the bladder. Constipation can be from an infection or GI problems with the change of temperature, or the food content.

Try changing to gel and soft food like blood worms for a while. Not feeding for a while may help too cause they will just eat algae which will help move bowels.
Thank you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fancy goldfish like this are more prone to swim bladder disorders (I think it’s due to their body type/shape), but with this picture and the information you have given, there’s no way to say for sure what it is. While you have this fish isolated, be sure to keep the water very clean, and add some air if possible. You can try giving it some cooked green peas — there is some evidence that this helps. Sorry and hope your fish gets better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you considered Dropsy, I did save one of my shubunkins a few years back.

I also feed my fish peeled peas a few times a week for digestion. I buy frozen ones, heat in microwave for a few seconds, peel each and watch my fish go crazy for them.

I wish you luck.

Ask a Question